The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Um...Captcha?

jlivingstonjlivingston Member
in Help edited November 2012
Hello,

I have a client who is asking about integrating captcha into their checkout? This is the first time I've received this sort of request. I've never heard of bots making purchases, but they said that this request came as a suggestion from their gateway provider. I searched around on your site, but only found a couple of forum posts, and nothing in your documentation. I found a reference to "fixing captcha images" in one of your changelogs, but I got the impression that this was more of a compatibility fix, perhaps with a gateway or CMS that provided it's own captcha.

Is there any way to integrate effective captcha into the checkout? I'm guessing that since all customization is client-side, that unless you provide this as a built-in feature, there is no way to do it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best,

Joey
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @jlivingston,

Did you come across this one by chance? http://forum.foxycart.com/discussion/3758/adding-captcha-or-recaptcha/p1 - It's from a while back, but from my understanding the answer would still be the same. Let me know if you have any further questions.
  • Is this that new 'reverse optimization' thing I've been hearing about? I watched a webinar on this a few weeks ago...
    @billem,

I'm not sure what 'reverse optimization' entails from what you've heard, but the captcha setup is the process of having a couple random words or letters and numbers present to the user as an image they have to match to be able to submit a form, which is designed to prevent 'bots' or scripts from automatically spamming forms (although there has been some press lately saying that captcha has been beaten by the bots now...)
  • billembillem Member
    edited December 2012
    Great, thanks for the explanation, Adam. Any word on when FC will integrate advanced reverse optimization options in the checkout? Seems like the new hot thing -- like the hit counters of 1999
    @billem,

Could you clarify what you're referring to when you say 'reverse optimisation'?
  • Reverse optimization is the act of making the checkout process more difficult for the customer because the merchant is either too rich or just overwhelmed with too many orders.

(sorry, found the subject of the thread funny and felt I had to add a little sarcastic banter :D)
  • Well, for what it's worth, I actually did figure out how to do this. :D
  • I hope you made it hard enough so the merchant can effectively stop all annoying orders!
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    I saw this over the weekend which made me think of this thread:
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    I love that video :)