Live Shipping Rates International** (asterisks showing up)

neversettleneversettle Member
in Help edited December 2012
I currently have shipping limited to the U.S. and Canada with live rates. When a Canadian address is used, one of the shipping rates looks like this:
First-Class Mail International Large Envelope** $5.40

But there is no explanation generated as to what the asterisks mean. Customers are asking, and I don't know. What are they for? Is there anyway that a brief explanation could also be output whenever there is an indicator like that? Thanks!
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @neversettle,

Could you confirm which store you're seeing this on?
  • Sorry! suethomasdvd.foxycart.com
    Example:
    http://suethomasdvd.com/store
    add an item to the cart and follow the checkout process, use Canada for shipping options, and let the rates update. Thanks!
    edited December 2012
    @neversettle,

So that's being returned directly from USPS - I just did a quick rates request on their site and this seems to be it:
    **GXG, Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes and Small Flat Rate priced boxes, and First-Class Mail International are not available for items requiring an Export License under U.S. Law.

Ep5wul.jpg
  • Thanks, Adam. So, any ideas on the best way to present this to customers, but only where applicable? They are not going to know to go to USPS and search for it. I don't want to make a feature request for something that seems so trivial, but it's very confusing to have the asterisks with no explanation when they're trying to make a decision on shipping options. Too bad USPS doesn't return those as a link with hover details explanation. Hmmmm...
    edited December 2012
    @neversettle,

I'm checking with some of the team to see if that type of fineprint is made available to us as part of the shipping API - but for now, you could utilise some javascript to add in that fine print if a shipping rate is returned that has the double '**'.

For now though, adding this to your checkout - right before the closing </head> tag - will add in the note if it's needed:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery(document).ready(function() {
      jQuery("#fc_shipping_methods_inner").ajaxComplete(function(event, request, settings) {
        if (settings.url.indexOf('GetShippingCost') != -1) {
          jQuery("#fc_shipping_methods_inner input[name='shipping_service']").each(function() {
            var carrier = jQuery(this).siblings(".fc_shipping_carrier").html();
            var service = jQuery(this).siblings(".fc_shipping_service").html();

if (carrier == "USPS" && service.indexOf("**") > -1) {
              if (jQuery("#usps_notice").length == 0) {
                jQuery("#fc_shipping_methods").append("<p id='usps_notice'>**GXG, Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes and Small Flat Rate priced boxes, and First-Class Mail International are not available for items requiring an Export License under U.S. Law.</p>");
              }
            } else {
              jQuery("#usps_notice").remove();
            }

});
        }
      });
    });
    </script>

• Thank you so much! I will give that a whirl!