From Mailserver? (SPF)

tookingstookings Member
in Help edited October 2008
What hostname should be used in our SPF record for emails sent by foxycart?

(I tried looking up the foxycart SPF record, but wasn't quite sure from the results. Note that we haven't had any delivery issues -- but while fixing an unrelated email issue, I figured I would add this in too.)

Thanks!
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    You actually don't need to set any SPF stuff at this point. We're doing the SPF on our end, and setting the return-path and sender and from correctly for SPF on our end.

I know that sounds wrong, and it took me a long time to believe it, but:
    http://www.openspf.org/Best_Practices/Webgenerated

Fwiw, we may eventually allow you to do a true authentication using SPF and DKIM and such (kind of like Campaign Monitor does it; MailChimp doesn't though). If that interests you please vote for it ;)
    http://requests.foxycart.com/
  • Ahh nice -- and I'm not really the expert on the deeper mail stuff.

That would explain why your emails work so well, too. :)
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Yeah... that only took about 6 painful months to get right. In the very early days when we were still working through the process we'd get a note from a customer once and a while saying, by the way... AOL or Comcast or <your big powerful ISP here> no longer accepts my receipts. Major pain in the butt.

Glad to hear it's working well for you. We definitely appreciate that feedback because, as developers with our own clients, we know how frustrating it can be when you provide a service with critical email work flows and the client calls you at 7am on a Saturday morning to complain about a missing email.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    We still get "spam" reports from AOL. Really annoying on a few different levels. We've had one or two spam complaints from mail sent like 4 years ago, long before we had the IPs we're using. So AOL's not smart enough to figure out that a 4 year old piece of spam should probably be ignored.

(And seriously... if you have the time to manually go through 4 year old mail and mark stuff as spam... I just don't know.)

The other annoying side of the coin is getting a spam complaint from a receipt. Seirously... I mean, if you buy something and then mark the receipt as spam...

Haha, ok anyway. I'm going to get really mad if I continue. Like Luke said, the months were painful ;)