Everything worked fine, now Datafeed errors on every transaction

neversettleneversettle Member
in Help edited December 2012
Up until about 36 hours ago (since around noon MST on 11 Dec) everything has been working flawlessly for 3 weeks. As far as I know nothing changed, and I have verified that API keys and datafeed URLs are matched between FoxyCart and FoxyShop. This is in relation to the suethomasdvd.foxycart.com store. After that point yesterday, now every single transaction is getting a datafeed error:
DataFeed Failed: (23674347) 2012-12-12 14:57:33 No data returned for http://suethomasdvd.com/foxycart-datafeed-64214948bad4/ [0] connect() timed out!

I get the same result when I try to manually refeed. I've searched on similar threads and skimmed through the primer on errors. Kind of at a loss where to look next. What could have changed all the sudden that datafeed is failing on every transaction when it was working prior with dozens of transactions? What else should I check?

Thanks in advance!
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    What does your datafeed do? Do you have any potentially long calls or cURL calls to other services that might be timing out?
  • Hi, sparkweb. I didn't write it, so I'm not 100% sure - it's the FoxyShop datafeed end point, but skimming through the code it looks like it basically updates inventory (we're not using that) and syncs SSO / user accounts. It is using cURL, but I don't see anything that should cause a timeout. Also like I said, it was working fine before yesterday, and I'm convinced there weren't any changes to the settings or products. I'm wondering if maybe something changed on the hosting provider that I am not aware of... seems like the primary candidate at the moment.
  • I guess it would be helpful to let you know that the hosting is GoDaddy (yes, ok, no flames please) :) Again this all worked for 3 weeks already. Ah the joys of building and maintaining.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team

We actually had another user email in with issues caching templates that were hosted with GoDaddy. Could you perhaps reach out to GoDaddy support and ask if anything changed on their end that might limit connectivity between FoxyCart's servers and GoDaddy's?
  • For sure, will do and will let you know. thanks.
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    Are you using the SSO pieces? Because if you aren't doing inventory, aren't doing subs, aren't doing SSO user creation, there isn't really a reason to use the datafeed endpoint and you could just turn it off.

The main problem I've usually seen with GoDaddy is that you have to turn off peer validation when using cURL. You might check out http://www.foxy-shop.com/documentation/advanced-settings/ for the setting. This probably isn't it, though.

(Man, you know a company has a bad rep when their customers have to apologize for using them!)
  • fredfred FoxyCart Team
    Hi @neversettle,

It appears that your server's IP is being blocked by our hosting company's IP reputation solution, ThreatStop. If you put your server's IP ( into ThreatStop's tool, you'll see the issue:

I've asked our host to allow traffic between our servers.
  • Thanks for the reminder @sparkweb - I had considered that option as a last resort. Only using SSO sync right now but could live without.

Looks like @fred found the issue though. Much appreciated! I wonder what's going on with that? Maybe some bad players on that shared IP? Should I be concerned about being on other lists?

BTW totally hear ya with the host thing. Used to love them. Still do for somethings, but definitely starting to increase the annoyance factor. Had a partial response from them so far, but won't pursue that any further since it sounds like threatstop is the core of the issue.

I'll keep monitoring for that to take hold.

Many thanks!
  • fredfred FoxyCart Team
    Yes, ThreatStop lists an IP when there's some bad behavior by anyone sharing that IP. Could be that some of your "neighbors" are actively malicious, or that they were running old software and got their site defaced and set up for distributing malware.

"IP reputation" is a very new idea, and I don't know of any other lists that might cause trouble, nor of any other hosting companies that use this technology. It looks like your email is handled through a different server, which is good for making sure your mail gets to its destination.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @neversettle, fwiw, we don't really officially recommend any shared hosting, but we've talked to these guys a little: Arvixe. They seem pretty solid. I haven't used shared hosting in forever and ever though.
  • Thanks @brett! Have not heard of them before but will definitely check them out. Completely agree on shared hosting. As solution providers / developers we'd love to live in the utopia of dedicated hosting for every project, but in reality we usually inherit management on "budget" hosting and make the most of it :)

But hands-down, you guys set the bar for support. Really appreciate everything. If only everyone was so responsive!

Any indication / eta / or way for me to know when the whitelist entry with your host is in place?

Give it another try now, it should hopefully be cleared by now.
  • Yes! Back on track. Thanks again everyone. We'll be pushing our clients harder towards at least dedicated IPs from here on out.

Any quick way to re-feed all the datafeeds that originally failed? Or just one at a time?
    Apart from setting up an API script, one at a time will be your best bet.
  • Roger! No biggie, won't take long, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that would take even less long.
  • Hi, Sorry to jump in on someone else's problem, but the same thing is occurring to two of my foxycart accounts which are on shared hosting deadsailor and trizone and the IP is showing malware

Can I ask what was done to resolve this issue?

• For our issue, FoxyCart kindly made a request to ThreatStop to allow communication between FoxyCart servers and our IP. Hope that helps.
  • Thanks for your response, I will wait and see if a FoxyCart staff member picks this up.

We've sent your IP address off for whitelisting.
  • fredfred FoxyCart Team
    @bywill, our host has whitelisted your IP. Please try again. If you have any further issues, could you please contact our helpdesk by sending an email to helpdesk@foxycart.com? Thanks!
  • Thanks, datafeeds have been re-fed without errors.

Great to see such good active support, these have been my first two projects just dipping my toes into the shallow end and I have been very impressed, and am looking forward to future projects.

• We've suddenly started getting the same errors on order today and I'm wondering if it's a blacklisting issue - how would we find out?

DataFeed Failed: (31528915) 2013-01-17 16:25:58 No data returned for http://www.whitleydesigns.com/index.php?ACT=20 [0] connect() timed out!

Happy to start a new thread, just let me know...

Your servers IP does appear to be being blocked. I'll submit a ticket with our host to whitelist it.
  • all cleared up, thanks Adam!
    Awesome! Thanks for following up!