Pre-order mockup using subscriptions

swinginsamswinginsam Member
in Help edited January 2013
Development Site @ http://www.thebakbone.com/pre-order.php

My clients have a product that is not quite ready to ship; we're looking at something like 30 to 60 days before there is enough product to go live with the in-development store. However, they are on their way to CES (trade show) and would like to accept pre-orders right away. I found the following post :: http://forum.foxycart.com/discussion/4300/pre-orders/p1 and have made the modifications to the shop form, database, feed, etc. but I have a few problems and questions.

First issue - Dates.
I don't understand the date set-up required to to make this 'hack' work. I get the concept, set up the start-date to match the date that you think the product will ship, and set the end date to be one day past that, but I don't understand how the frequency works. No matter how many combinations I try, I get the charge amount for the product and then a negative charge amount for the future subscriptions which evens out to $0.00 every time. I don't get it. (see attached image )

screencap_01.png

Second Issue - Text.
The above screenshot also shows how the pre-order is being displayed: exactly as it is, a subscription. This will be very confusing to the customer - especially since the frequency is displayed. They are going to think that we are going to charge them over and over again. There is no way that they are going to understand that this is a hack without some very long explanations and even then, I doubt they will believe it.

Is there any way to hide, change, or modify the text that is shown in the cart?
Comments
  • fc_joshfc_josh FoxyCart Team
    Hey swinginsam.
    Thanks for taking time to post your questions. FoxyCart allows you to change the language text for almost every part of the cart, checkout, and receipt. You can make these changes here: https://admin.foxycart.com/admin.php?ThisAction=Internationalization

Using some css on your cart, checkout, and receipt templates, you can easily hide unneeded lines (ie: Frequency: Every Day)

This should get you headed in the right direction. Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks,
    Josh
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    The reason you get the Future Subscription is because it isn't going to charge right away. Today's total is $0.00 and 4/1/13 will be be $69.90.

To change what's displayed here, you can either hide fields with CSS or use the Twig templating to actually remove fields (see Templates section in the wiki). The CSS method is certainly easier.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    edited January 2013
    @swingingsam,

If you want to charge them straight up for their pre-order, then you don't need to use a subscription at all - simply use a straight product setup, and the customer will be charged today. Just change the name of the product to have "pre-order" or something similar added to the name. You could also add a custom attribute to the product called "estimated shipping date" and set the value to the date that you expect to ship.

[edit] Ah, I see on the site it says you won't be charged until it ships - so yeah, you'll need to take the subscription route and the suggested approaches by Josh and Sparkweb
  • Thanks Guys, I got the pre-orders set-up in time for CES and the show (and transactions) went off sans hitch. Thanks for the help.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @swinginsam - thats awesome! Congratulations!