Using FoxyCart in apps (iPad, Android, Windows 8 etc)

babblebibbabblebib Member
in Help edited January 2013
Hi,

Has anyone ever used FoxyCart to add shopping cart functionality to a native app on something like an iPad, Android or Windows 8 device?

I'm looking at producing some native apps and would love to implement cart functionality directly within the app rather than sending the user to the browser to checkout.

My particular interest is Windows 8 but I guess the theory applies to any native app?
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @babblebib,

At this stage, you'd still have to send the customer to the FoxyCart checkout page to input payment details and complete the checkout.
  • Hi Adam,

I think that would be fine, providing i could handle the 'add to cart' process in my app.

How would i 'upload' a cart to FC when user do get onto a web page? I guess i could one big add to cart button with all the products in there, but that would require users to click something. Is there any way i can construct an XML file or something in my app and upload that to FC?

Ideally I'd like to pass a load of stuff to a webpage and have that populate the cart for me and then offer customer the option to checkout.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @babblebib,

The only way you can get products into a customers cart is by adding them to the cart. You could certainly do that silently within the app - and then redirect the customer to the cart or checkout page, or you could do it when the user clicks some sort of link.

To be honest, I'm not really familiar with creating a native smartphone app - but I'm guessing it should be possible to set up a jsonp style approach - where the user clicks to add to cart in your app, and you add that to the FoxyCart cart in the background, and then when that action completes you could update/display a cart in your app.