The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

New York Sales Tax and Quickbooks Automatically Calculate

ecbromleyecbromley Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited January 2013
I'm woking with Keith at ConsoliByte (great service) to figure out how to handle the sales tax collected. New York State charges a variable rate determined by the County the product is shipped to. Foxycart is reporting the information in the XML datafeed as simply "New York Sales Tax" and doesn't include what county it used to determine the tax rate. The way it works now I'll have to manually lookup each NY address to determine the tax rate for each order from New York State. I'm using the "Automatically calculate tax" feature.

XML Datafeed example from Foxycart

<taxes>
<tax>
<tax_rate>8.00</tax_rate>
<tax_name>New York Sales Tax</tax_name>
<tax_amount>3.3080</tax_amount>
</tax>
</taxes>

In Quickbooks I've started setting up "sales tax items" for each county like this:

Sales Tax Name:
Allegany-0221
Description:
Allegany County NYS Sales Tax
Tax Rate (%):
8.5%
Tax Agency (vendor that you collect for):
NYS Department of Taxation and Finance

Is there a way for Foxycart to pass what jurisdiction was used to automatically calculate the sales tax?

Ed Bromley
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @ecbromley,

We actually had a similar request recently - it would make sense to give a bit more context as to what tax was being collected. I believe we have a ticket for that for us to look into - I'll bump that ticket with your information as well to give it a bit of extra weight.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    We're discussing this and do plan on improving things, but we aren't sure exactly what that'll look like yet. If you don't hear back from us, feel free to ping this thread.
  • Thanks Brett and Adam,
    Will do.
  • Just seeing if any progress has been made on this front....
  • Checking again to see if there has been any progress.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey @ecbromley. Sorry for not getting back to you on this. Unfortunately, we still don't have any good news for you. It doesn't look like tax reporting is very highly requested here: http://requests.foxycart.com/

We have some ideas built out on our end, but they are low on our priority list at the moment. I wish I had better news for you.