Automatic Taxes Confusion

cbootcboot Member
in Help edited February 2013
I'm trying to use the automatic tax system for our store, but I'm finding the documentation a bit unclear on a couple points. The blog entry for the v1.0 release says "you can now enable zip-code based tax rates with just a few clicks." But when I go to the actual documentation, it seems much more complicated. To use automatic taxing in the US, do I have to create a separate "automatic" tax for each state (region) and then apply each of these 50 taxes to each category I want to use them on? In addition, do I also have to have the "automatic" country tax and apply that separately to each of my products? Or is there something easy I can just click to "apply automatic taxes" to all of my products?
Tagged:
Comments
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    Usually you only have to collect tax in one state, so you would setup a tax for Region and select your state, then check the "automatic" option. If you really have to collect for all states, then you can do a country-based tax and then set it to US / Automatic. Should work for you...
  • I realize now I never responded. Thanks for your help! Not sure why, but it seems my client needs to collect tax in every state. Your solution did the trick. Thank you!