Too many items Authorize.net error 271

drwagner13drwagner13 Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited November 2008
Hello helpful people:

We are having a problem with Virtuemart Authorize.net where if a visitor tries to purchase more than 30 items in one order an error is returned. Why would virtuemart be seeing anything more than a single total price?

Here's the message in the error log:

Error: There was an error processing your credit card: The number of line items submitted is not allowed. A maximum of 30 line items can be submitted. (Response Reason Code: 271)
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi drwagner13.
    This is the FoxyCart forum, not the Virtuemart forum. Sounds like an issue with how Virtuemart has implemented the gateway you're using, but we're definitely not the right people to ask ;)
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    I've heard of this great cart you should try... It's actually free until you start collecting money from your customers. It's called... Foxy something or other...

(I kid... I kid...)
  • drwagner13drwagner13 Member
    edited November 2008
    I'm sorry, I made a serious error in my post. The error is from Authorize.net, not Virtuemart. I got confused.

I inherited a poorly designed website that uses Foxycary and I'm trying to improve it. We are getting an error on transactions involving more than 30 items. It seem that Authorize is receiving every item in the transaction. I am therefore not understanding how Foxycart works. If Authorize is only concerned with collecting the money, then why does it need to know every line item in the cart? Shouldn't it just receive a total and process the credit card?

I will try looking further into the Authorize docs, but all I could figure out form their site so far was a very vague description of the error code.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks for the update, drwanger, sorry if we were a little harsh. It was just too funny not to jump on. :)

Interesting... we try to send as much information as possible to the payment gateways as a lot of companies use their reports exclusively for managing their accounting. We'll take a look at the documentation ourselves and see if we need to put a cap on it at 30 products to avoid the error. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
  • This is a serious problem. When might I expect a resolution or update? I am about to roll out a part of our store where a typical order will be larger than 30 items, and up to 500.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks for following up, drwagner. With so much going on around here, this one unfortunately fell through the cracks. We'll take a look at it today.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Ok, should be fixed now.

Confirmed this from the authorize.net api documentation:
    The merchant may submit up to 30 distinct line items containing itemized order information per transaction.

Guess it would have helped for us to read the manual, eh?

Thanks again for following up with us.

500 products? Dang... took me a while just to add more than 30 to test this thing. Are you shipping these products? If so, I'd be surprised if any of our current shipping rate calculator methods will work due to the weight limitations. Unless you're using flat rate shipping... anyway, let us know how we can help but be aware that you're doing something we haven't tested.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    oh, btw, we fixed in in ver 0.4.0