Checkout Page with WordPress Navigation

vossavantvossavant Member
in Help edited February 2013
Hopefully this is a softball for you guys. I did some searching but couldn't come up with anything. I am building a site that runs on WordPress and has WP-powered search box and navigation at the top. I thought it'd be nice to keep the top portion the same, and load the checkout template below, in the page body.

Initially I searched for loading the checkout as an iframe, but that didn't yield much. Then I stumbled across AutoMagiCache, but it's not clear to me (probably given the long day) if this automatically updates any changes to the WP-powered nav. My concern is that the customer updates a page or a link in the nav, and then it stops working on the checkout page. Does FoxyCart automagically handle this scenario? Would the WP-powered search box work on the checkout page?

Thanks guys, your help (and product) is much appreciated.
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @vossavant,
    Initially I searched for loading the checkout as an iframe, but that didn't yield much. Then I stumbled across AutoMagiCache

Automagicache is definitely what you'd want - as it allows you to easily make the checkout look like your own site without having to worry about security issues, as we securely serve all images, stylesheets and scripts on the checkout.

My concern is that the customer updates a page or a link in the nav, and then it stops working on the checkout page. Does FoxyCart automagically handle this scenario?

No, the caching only happens when you instruct FoxyCart to fetch the template. You can trigger that using the API though - so technically if you are able to set up a trigger in WordPress, that if the main navigation changes (through adding a new page, removing one or renaming one) that the API is triggered to recache the template. That would be one way to achieve it.

One thing to note though - I generally actually recommend not showing the main navigation and other extra pieces of information on the checkout - purely to remove any distractions for the customer. When they hit the checkout you want them to be able to focus on doing just that. If you have links they can click - whether that be to other pages of the website or to some other site like a facebook or twitter profile, it could very easily lead to an abandoned cart. I'd still recommend making the checkout look like your own site - definitely - but removing any distractions could certainly help conversions.

Would the WP-powered search box work on the checkout page?

Does the search box simply redirect the user over to your search results page when they submit a search, or is it a live search that shows results as they type? If its the first, then that should work fine (although my previous point about distractions applies here too), but if it's the latter you may hit some issues.
  • Hey Adam,

Thanks for the detailed response. I agree with you on not showing the navigation, and will recommend that the customer consider going that route. I don't think it's worth the trouble (for this project, at least) of talking to the API when the nav is updated. Thanks for letting me know of that possibility!

WP search redirects the user to a search results page with results, so I presume should work fine on the checkout.

Thanks again!