Checkout Password

HjaltlandHjaltland Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited October 2007
Hi,

My client’s FoxyCart shop is now live. However, the client has already had problems with customers becoming confused on the checkout page because they don’t know why they need to enter a password, or what password to enter.

In my client’s case, it would actually be best if we could to remove the password feature altogether. I would rather inconvenience a few repeat-order customers by having them type out their address again than scare away new customers with the password boxes.

So... could we please have an option in the FoxyCart admin to disable the password feature?

Cheers
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey Hjaltland, we're planning on implementing this in the future for sure. In the mean time, you may want to add some language to your checkout template to explain the process for your customers. Single page login+signup is still a new thing, but we're convinced it makes the most sense and will become the norm in the future. For an example of what you might say, take a look at what corganics.com added to their checkout page:
    Corganics strives to continuously improve your online purchasing experience. Part of this effort is reflected in our updated checkout system below. Our cart prompts for a password for any email address it recognizes. If you don't recall your password just take your best guess; it will give you a link to send a password reminder email as needed. If this is your first time purchasing, our cart will ask you to create a new password for future use.
    Hope that helps.
  • Hi Luke, Thanks for the example. Still, my client is giving me a hard time about it and I do think many people will abandon the checkout process after becoming confused by the password prompt. It would really help me out (and I honestly believe improve my client's sales) if the there was an option to remove the password boxes from the checkout page in the next version of FoxyCart! Cheers, H.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    0.3.0 has this (though kind of as a result of some different functionality) and lots more. No promises on when 0.3.0 will be go live, but this will be part of it.

I hope that helps ;)
  • Thanks guys. My client has been chasing me again about removing the checkout password - any idea when 0.3.0 will go live?

Btw, Brett, many thanks for the MODx 'Customize Manager Fields' plugin! We've used it on a couple of projects now. It seems the internet is a small place :)
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Haha, yeah, small world indeed. We built that plugin because I needed it for my own clients, so it's always nice when other people need the same thing. (Kind of the story with FoxyCart too ;)

0.3.0 will be here very soon. No promises, but ... very soon. (Again, no promises, but probably just a few more days. We're cleaning up the final pieces. It's going to have a few very very cool improvements.)