Address line 2 bug?

GeoffreyGeoffrey Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited March 2013
Hi guys. I've noticed the occurrence of something strange happen on a handful of different transactions over the past several months. We've been using version 0.7.2. What appears to happen is this... A given customer enters their billing address for an order at checkout, and it includes a value entered in address line 2 (customer_address2), then the customer also includes a different shipping address that does not have a value for address line 2 (shipping_address2); but when the transaction is processed it seems that somehow the value from customer_address2 gets passed to shipping_address2.

Further complicating things for registered customers and subscription customers who have experienced this issue is that when they have noticed the error on their shipping confirmation and attempted to rectify it via an updateInfo or sub_token change to their saved address information, the change does not stick if they simply delete the value from the address line 2. I have tested this a couple times in the course of having to correct customers' saved addresses manually via unified order entry, and it appears that changes to the value in address line 2 will only stick if some other value replaces the original value or a space (spacebar click) is entered in place of the previous value before submitting the form. I have seen it happen more than once that merely deleting the value did not change the saved address record, leaving the original address line 2 value as it was before.

Could you guys look into this? I've seen this kind of thing happen maybe half a dozen times, and it looks less and less likely that it could all be human error. Please let me know if you find out anything about this. Thanks!
Comments
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    @geoffrey, are you seeing this happen in FoxyCart itself or in Order Desk? Because there was a bug a while back in FoxyShop where it was doing exactly this. I wonder if you have an old datafeed processor? This is what the line should look like:
    $shipping_address2 =	(string)$transaction->shipping_address1 ? (string)$transaction->shipping_address2 : $customer_address2; //shipping_address1 is intended here

I confirmed that it shouldn't be doing this in Order Desk either.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Geoffrey,

I'm not able to replicate the address2 line being copied from customer to shipping, but you are correct that blanking an input won't make that detail blank when saving. You currently need to enter something like a space or similar to remove the existing entry. It's something we're aware of and have ticketed to rectify in a future release.
  • @sparkweb, I thought I saw something funny on that datafeed line the other day, and I think I may have changed it to the correct code. This is what it is right now:
    $shipping_address2 =	(string)$transaction->shipping_address1 ? (string)$transaction->shipping_address2 : $customer_address2; //shipping_address1 is intended here

This looks identical to the line you quote, so should it be correct now?

@fc_adam & @sparkweb, I think I may have been getting confused about this issue, which David points out was probably happening in the FoxyShop datafeed... because the thing is, when I went back to look at the customer subscription records in FoxyCart admin, I would find that the wrong address2 line was shown in the recorded shipping address there as well. I was under the impression that OrderDesk did not post address changes back to the records in FoxyCart. Am I wrong about this?

Really confused, or maybe I'm mistaken about seeing the FoxyCart records the way I've stated it. Anyway, it makes more sense to me if it was just a problem with the FoxyShop datefeed. And it's good to know that the blank input value thing is a known issue that you guys plan to address. Sorry if I sent you off after a non-existent bug, Adam. I really appreciate your looking at it though.
  • @sparkweb,

Actually... now that I think about it a little more. It occurs to me that I have the FoxyCart admin directing our datafeed endpoint to OrderDesk first, and from there back to the FoxyShop endpoint... so could this be more complicated than just the FoxyShop datafeed endpoint, if it is being parsed by OrderDesk first then routed to FoxyShop?
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    @geoffrey, if the error shows up in the FoxyCart admin it's a FoxyCart problem. There's no way to edit transactions at FC after they are completed.
  • Ok. Good to know. I'll leave it as ambiguous for now, but knowing what to look for I will keep a close eye on this if it happens again and post any further information that I find. Thanks for the all the input.