Need lots of Help implementing FoxyCart

starksemstarksem Member
in Help edited March 2013
First of all, I apologize if I;m repeating a question or just not looking in the first place. I've spent 5-6 hours reading tutorials, watching some of the videos and trying to figure this all out.

Basic information is:
Store: www.starksem.foxycart.com
CMS: Wordpress
Payment Processor: Paypal WPP

Now my first question may be why I'm having so much trouble. If you visit www.twitter.starksem.com/packages then that's basically how I want my store to look. I want it formatted in that way. I am selling services, so I didn't think I needed to create a huge cart or pricing module. If I do, can anyone help me figure out exactly how to do it this way, so I have a similar outlook?

When I try to cache my checkout page, I get this error:
Your template was not saved because there was an error in your Twig template syntax: Unclosed comment at line 6104
Now I tried to check where everything was out of order, but when I try to fix it, I get another error a few lines up down. 6104, to 6101, then 6100. I tried adding in {% raw %} {% endraw %} but I'm not quite catching the problem.

My ultimate goal is to have a one-click checkout. When the "Order Now" button is pushed, I want it to go directly to the store's checkout, governed by my page's Wordpress template. Am I doing everything wrong? Do I need to add product pages to get Foxy Cart to work?

I can provide anything to assist you.
Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @starksem,
    If I do, can anyone help me figure out exactly how to do it this way, so I have a similar outlook?

You can definitely hook FoxyCart into that page - and it would be extremely simple to do. All you'd need to do is add the FoxyCart files to the head section of your page - which you can get from the 'Sample Code' section of your stores FoxyCart administration.

Next you'll just need to change your add to cart links to communicate your product details to FoxyCart. For example, your 200 followers plan would look like this:
    https://starksem.foxycart.com/cart?name=200+Twitter+Followers&price=
    24.97&code=TWS200&cart=checkout

That would add a product with a name of "200 Twitter Followers" with a code of "TWS200" and a price of $24.97 to the cart, and direct the customer straight to the checkout page. More details on constructing the add to cart link here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/static/redirect/add_to_cart

I tried adding in {% raw %} {% endraw %} but I'm not quite catching the problem.

The raw tags will fix that for you - could you link us to your template (feel free to whisper it to me if it's private - simply check the box to 'whisper' and enter my username in the text box that appears) and we will help work out where you need to wrap in raw tags.

Other than that though - it definitely sounds like you're on the right track!
  • Wow, that's a lot more simple than I thought. First, I apologize for not knowing how to do these simple things. I'm just trying to get the best integrated platform for my site - and I know Foxy Cart is going to be just that!

I tried the link, and it's going to be extremely easy to set up this way. Know the big section is setting up everything on the back end.

Will I need to set up the cart as well? Or since I'm technically not using it at all, will I be able to bypass certain areas of the set-up?

As far as adding the FoxyCart files into the header, that would be done edditing the css .php files in Wordpress correct? I would be able to add the files on all pages, such to make sure it's active, or would I need to specify which page gets the code? (Sorry, I use WP for a reason haha)

Sending you the template in a second. Thanks so much!
  • Also, sorry I forgot to add this in the end, I'm sure there's a way to set up your checkout page with Text Fields, but I'm having a hard time locating the documentation for it.

Basically, for our previous example, I would need their Twitter Username and Current amount of Followers to better track things on my end.
    Wow, that's a lot more simple than I thought. First, I apologize for not knowing how to do these simple things. I'm just trying to get the best integrated platform for my site - and I know Foxy Cart is going to be just that!

No problems at all!

Will I need to set up the cart as well? Or since I'm technically not using it at all, will I be able to bypass certain areas of the set-up?

If you don't need the cart at all, you can simply set it to the standard template and that's all you'd need to do there. You don't have to utilise the cart if you don't have a need for it.

As far as adding the FoxyCart files into the header, that would be done edditing the css .php files in Wordpress correct? I would be able to add the files on all pages, such to make sure it's active, or would I need to specify which page gets the code?

You only need to include the FoxyCart include files on the pages where you need to interact with the cart - either where you have an add to cart or you show the total of what's in the cart, or have a link to proceed to checkout. That said though, we generally recommend including it on every page of your website - just makes it easier.

As to where you'll include that in WordPress - I haven't really used that system myself, you'll just need to get those files included in your pages head section.

In terms of integrating with WordPress, have you looked at the two integrations that people from the community have built? That will take some of the work out of getting FoxyCart integrated into your site. You can see them here: http://www.foxycart.com/features/integrations

Also, sorry I forgot to add this in the end, I'm sure there's a way to set up your checkout page with Text Fields, but I'm having a hard time locating the documentation for it.

Yep, you can add any number of fields to your checkout template. Take a look at the custom checkout fields on this page: http://wiki.foxycart.com/static/redirect/checkout
  • I haven't seen the two integrations. I'm about to look through them, but at first glance it seems they simplify the Cart process. But I'll give Vanilla FC a good try before moving to something else.

I'll be working on the checkout page now, since we've managed to get my checkout page working. I'll post back with any questions!

BTW, do you have a Skype fc_adam that is available?
    @starksem,

Sorry, we don't offer Skype support currently. The forums or our helpdesk will be your best bet.
  • Adam, more bad news:

I made the changes to the checkout template, which took the error code away from the site as to make the cart fully functional. I also added the direct links to cart as mentioned earlier in this discussion to ensure everything is going direct to the cart.

Once you click on the link, this URL comes up: https://starksem.foxycart.com/checkout.php?ThisAction=customer_info&fcsid=a7avquuti0u32hims4qcue24r4

But no checkout page is loaded. Is this something I've done wrong?

twitter.starksem.com/packages is where the links are at now. Any advice?
  • Nevermind, I think I got it. I accidentally cached the page with all the pages, so it was just redirecting me there.
  • starksemstarksem Member
    edited March 2013
    I fixed everything, but now I'm getting 2 checkouts on the checkout page - not sure what I did wrong this time haha

twitter.starksem.com/packages

The idea is to try and get the lightbox to pop up and have all the payment details done that way.
    @starksem,

Everything looks to be working correctly for me - clicking the add to cart brings up the cart and you can then proceed to checkout - and the checkout form is only appearing once.

If you're not wanting to view the cart (as you mentioned earlier) you simply need to add "&cart=checkout" to the add to cart URL and it will forward the customer straight to the checkout.