Need to break shipment into two and force two rates

ChubbRckChubbRck Member
in Help edited April 2013
Hi, I have a store with two types of items: frozen items that need to be sent fedex overnight, and other non-frozen items that can be sent fedex ground.

What I'd like to do is give the user the option to break the shipment into two if the cart contains both an overnight item and a non-overnight item with the overnight package forced to fedex overnight and the non-overnight either forced to fedex ground or at least given the choice.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Any guidance is appreciated,

Nick
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @ChubbRck,

I can't say I've heard of someone taking that exact approach, but it shouldn't be too hard. What I'd suggest doing is grabbing the live rates modifications snippet from our wiki here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/snippets/start

Then for your custom logic, you'd loop through the cart and see what is present in the cart. If only frozen items are present, then you'd only show the overnight option, and if unfrozen, then you could show both. If both are present though, you'd hide the ground and overnight rates, and add in your own custom rate combining the two options together, and give it a name that describes it as such.