Cart as a separate page on my domain

PecanPecan Member
in Help edited April 2013
Hi, I've tried to find the answer to this but since the question involves two separate questions I'm having no luck.

I have resumed my efforts to implement Foxycart after a period of time away from it. Last time I acheived my goals of having the cart info displayed in a widget on my site, that's working fine.

However I would like to know if I can have the cart display on a separate webpage on my domain. For example user clicks add to cart button then instantly get redirected to the cart page showing cart contents etc.

I have removed the modal cart from the picture by editing the head code. Now when the add to cart button is clicked the user is instantly redirected to the cart page hosted on Foxycart'sserver.

Is there a way of having this page on my domain and then when the user wishes to checkout then they are taken to the checkout which is currently hosted at Foxycart?

Edit: here's the link to the site: http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/foxtrial/
Comments
  • PecanPecan Member
    Also I've just noticed that since I updated my Foxy to the latest version I can't seem to get the custom shipping options to load when the checkout page loads.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Pecan,

In terms of the add to cart, I'd suggest setting up your cart template to include your sites template - so it will appear like it's a part of your site. We have details of customising the templates using our automagicache functionality here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/static/redirect/templates but essentially it involves adding 2 placeholders to your sites template and caching it through the FoxyCart administration.

With your custom shipping options, you'll need to update to the latest code from the wiki here for that snippet: http://wiki.foxycart.com/snippets/start - there was a function removed in the latest jQuery that is included in FC 1.1 that is used in that script.
  • PecanPecan Member
    @fc_adam

Thank you for the reply. I'll take a look at the new code once I'm back on the PC.

As far as the cart is concerned, thank you for your solution. I understand that I can simply upload my code to the template but if I wanted to have the cart hosted on my domain what would it take?

I have a separate page currently which acts as a cart summary on my page and I would like to keep it and simply replace my current cart software with Foxy.
    @Pecan,

You could build out your own custom cart summary using the JSON cart object [http://wiki.foxycart.com/static/redirect/jsonp] - but you would need to handle updating the cart and removing products yourself.

If you use our cart, you can pretty easily set it up that it looks exactly like your own site, with the cart summary added into the page for you.
  • PecanPecan Member
    Ill look into that but it may be beyond my scope of code knowledge.

I would just rather have the cart summary on my own domain and if necessary have the user move to The Foxy server to checkout.

How do people go on when they buy their own SSL certificate? Doesn't that keep everything on the user's domain? Isn't that an option?
    @Pecan,
    I would just rather have the cart summary on my own domain and if necessary have the user move to The Foxy server to checkout.

Can I ask why exactly? Is it a concern of speed? Or FoxyCart being in the URL?

How do people go on when they buy their own SSL certificate? Doesn't that keep everything on the user's domain? Isn't that an option?

The custom SSL subdomain doesn't allow you to host the cart on your own site - but it removes foxycart from your stores domain - so where your cart would be at youstore.foxycart.com/cart - if you purchase the custom subdomain as part of your store, you can have it at something like secure.yourstore.com/cart. We'd still be securely hosting the cart and checkout - but it would look like it is a part of your site.
  • PecanPecan Member
    @fc_adam

The idea is to have a more seamless cart experience. I don't like the idea of user adds to cart, gets transferred to another site, reviews cart contents then decides to continue shopping so gets transferred back to my site and so on..

The idea of the custom sub domain and SSL certificate is appealing to me as this would look as though the whole thing is hosted in one place, on one domain.

Speed is not my main concern as we don't experience high traffic and I have utter confidence in the Foxy platform.

What I would like is to have the cart contents appear integrated into my existing site layout, which you say can be done by uploading the HTML to the relevant template in Admin.

Also I need the custom shipping stuff, and it would be nice to have some idea of shipping costs evident upon viewing the cart which I think is possible as I have seen some snippets relating to that.

Quite a bit to do yet but it'll be worth it, providing its all possible.
    @Pecan,
    The idea is to have a more seamless cart experience. I don't like the idea of user adds to cart, gets transferred to another site, reviews cart contents then decides to continue shopping so gets transferred back to my site and so on..

If your cart template is set up to match your own sites design, the customer won't even realise they've moved domains unless they check the URL bar. And then you can use the custom SSL subdomain to remove that last part referencing FoxyCart as well. Essentially, the customer really won't notice that they've changed from your servers to ours.
  • PecanPecan Member
    @fc_adam

Thanks for that Adam. I guess the custom SSL is the way to go for me.

Instead of purchasing the certificate right away can I carry on my development and switch it over later when I'm ready to go live?

Also one more question for now, I have a PayPal business merchant account currently, is this all I need to accept card payments on my site? I don't need to register for another, separate account of some sort as well do I?

I've read the Foxy documentation on all the different aspects of ecommerce but this is still an unanswered question for me. I'm in the UK by the way. Cheers.
    @Pecan,

Yeah - you can buy the custom SSL when you sign up for your stores subscription to go live.

If you have just a straight normal PayPal account, you'll be able to accept payments using PayPal Express. What that means is that the customer will be redirected over to PayPal's hosted payment page and they can pay with either their credit card or their PayPal balance there. They will then be redirected back to your FoxyCart checkout flow to finish the process.

If you want to accept card payments directly on the FoxyCart checkout page, you'll need to create an account with one of the gateways that we currently support - we have a list of those gateways here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/gateways/
  • PecanPecan Member
    @fc_adam

Thanks for the informative reply. The info in that link is very helpful.

I'll look into the various fees involved.