Basic XML Datafeed Question

marketing_guymarketing_guy Member
in Help edited April 2013
I first started with Foxycart some time ago and set it up for my site using FoxyShop.

At the time I set up the XML Datafeed and today realized still I don't know the purpose or if I even need it. I sometimes get XML Datafeed errors, and got two recently on the site (www.naturalglowsunless.com). So I go in and "refeed" them and it seems fine.

But in dummy terms -- what is that doing? Is it a means to send customer info from a transaction to a 3rd party program?

Also if I don't have a need for it, can I just turn it off with no problem?

Thanks!
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @marketing_guy,

The datafeed can be used for any number of different reasons. @sparkweb will be able to tell you what FoxyShop is doing by default with the datafeed - but common use-cases are to adjust inventory levels, update user access levels for site memberships, send custom emails or subscribe people to a mailing list.

If you don't actually use the datafeed for anything in particular, you can indeed turn the datafeed functionality off, that's up to you.
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    That's right, if you aren't adjusting inventory or haven't done anything special with your datafeed endpoint and you aren't using SSO or any custom user connections then you can definitely remove the datafeed connection.