The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Multiship - Saved Addresses?

jlivingstonjlivingston Member
in Help edited May 2013
Hi Guys,

I'm working on a site right now that needs to be able to ship to multiple addresses, but the client also wants the user to be able to save multiple addresses, so that when they come back to place more orders, they can just select the name of the address that they set the last time, and the address would be automatically filled in. Ideally, they would also like the user to be able to edit and delete addresses.

What, if any of this, is built into the multiship feature?

Assuming the worst case, that none of it is built in, then I need to develop an on-site system for managing multiple addresses. So the next question would be: how would you recommend storing the individual values for each address, i.e. street, city, etc., into the session, so that I can pull those values out in the checkout, and pre-populate each multi-ship address field group? Should I use the h: functionality, or is there a simple way to put that info into the fc_json object?

Your thoughts and advise are much appreciated.

Best,

Joey
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @jlivingston,

Just like we save the billing and shipping addresses, we save the shipto addresses as well. So if someone puts in a multiship order for 'Bob', and returns later to ship to Bob again, Bob will prepopulate with the address previously filled in. You'll notice on the checkout above each multiship address is a dropdown for previously saved addresses - so the customer can toggle between those as well.

We don't currently have the ability to delete a multiship address on the checkout though.

If you test the checkout though - you should definitely see the addresses prepopulate on return.
  • jlivingstonjlivingston Member
    edited May 2013
    Hi Adam,

Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought from reading the documentation. But then I read about how you can get the address short names using a bit of javascript, and I found out that these values are stored in a cookie.

So my question is: What if a user comes back three weeks later to place an order, and they are not logged into Foxycart? They won't get logged in until they get to the checkout, so how can I get the dropdown values for them while they are adding the product to their cart?

This site requires that they login, and their user profile on the site requires an email address. So I wonder if perhaps there was some way to get those value onto their product page before they log into Foxycart, perhaps by request to the Foxycart API using their email address.

But if this is not possible, then this leads me back to my original question, because it means that getting those dropdown values before they are logged into Foxycart won't be possible, so I'll have to keep track of their addresses on site. So, if that is not possible, and I have to build my own system: how would you recommend storing the individual values for each address, i.e. street, city, etc., into the session, so that I can pull those values out in the checkout, and pre-populate each multi-ship address field group? Should I use the h: functionality, or is there a simple way to put that info into the fc_json object?

Thanks again,

Joey
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @jlivingston,

As I mentioned, we store the address details for you - so you don't need to worry about that. If you wanted to store the shipto names yourself, you could do that - and it would only need to be the names that the customer puts into the shipto input in the add to cart. If they enter the same name again, we'll be able to prepopulate the address when they get to the checkout.

You can get the ship to addresses using the API though - if you get a customer record that will list out any multiship addresses attached to their account as well - so you could grab the address_name and put that into a variable your website can use to list out previously shipped to people.
  • Awesome. Thanks Adam.