Shipping a Gift

carvertechcarvertech Member
in Help edited May 2013
Our client has many returning customers. Sometimes, they buy for themselves (use personal shipping address). Other times the same user will purchase a gift (ship to recipient's address). Seems that FC always saves the last shipping address used? And FC doesn't show the shipping address by default. So... if you are a returning customer placing an order, and you forgot that your last order was a gift, the new order will go to the old recipient's address and not your own address. Does this make sense? Any suggestions on how to improve this experience for returning customers?
Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @carvertech,

By default, FoxyCart won't require a shipping address be filled in unless you're using multiship or if you're customising the checkout to require the shipping address on page load. So that means that if the customer buys for a friend in one transaction, but in the next they just want to ship to themselves, when they log in - only the billing information will be pre-filled and that is also where it will ship to. It's only if the customer selects to use a different shipping address that they'll use the other shipping address they've used last.
  • AllanDAllanD Member
    Adam,
    From the last statement May 16, I have been experiementing with/without the multi-ship, but I simply do not know how to "customising the checkout to require the shipping address on page load". Can you please tell me what script needs to be edited? Also what type of coding needs to go there? Do you have an example for this?

Thank you,
    Allan
    @AllanD,

Just to confirm, you're wanting to require the shipping address on the checkout? What store are you working with?
  • AllanDAllanD Member
    Adam I am using koalazone.foxycart.com. Think of the model as company and facilities. With each facility being a different ship to location for hardware and the billing address as headquarters. Assume that foxycart checkout is creating the account and the facilities because I am using the transaction datafeed to create facilities on my side after checkout. Thereefore, I do not have a list of facilities before checkout cart. I do not want to force login on my side before checkout. I do need to be able to change the address_name within the cart to something other than Me or ---New---. I wish the cart would allow to add new facility in it. Can I make it do that? What is your opinion here?
  • AllanDAllanD Member
    Adam, I may have things setup incorrectly and therefore presenting itself as a bug. I have noticed that when using SSO (which appears to be working great) that when you have a multi-ship store that the additional (previous) ship to addresses are not populated within the cart checkout screen. If I were to not use SSO and login to the cart normally then the additional addresses are present.

Also, I am able to successfully capture the transaction feed and update my site with addresses, transaction, and user data as needed.

Could you run a check on the SSO login to make sure that additional ship to addresses (previous ones) do show up as expected?

Thank you,
    Allan
    @AllanD,

The default shipto name if none is specified is "Me" - but if you simply specify a shipto name (or facility name in your case) then that will be used instead of "Me". You simply need to specify "shipto" as an add to cart parameter with the product and that will register as the ship to name.

In terms of the addresses not populating with SSO - that is indeed a bug, and one that is on my list to fix but unfortunately haven't had a chance to get to yet. We'll dig into that again and try to get it fixed up. Thanks for reminding me about that.
  • AllanDAllanD Member
    Yes thank you very much for "addressing" that issue. :)

Allan