"10401 Transaction Refused Error" when $0.00 total checkout through Paypal

keeneyemediakeeneyemedia Member
in Help edited June 2013
Hi,

I've setup my store to only allow checkout via Paypal. I've disabled the "checkout" button in the cart, so the only option from the cart, is to checkout via Paypal. (There was a bunch of validation errors on the checkout screen when trying to pay only through Paypal, as a guest account). However, if I use a coupon that brings the total to $0.00, I get the error message:
Error: There was an error processing your payment: (10401 Transaction refused because of an invalid argument. See additional error messages for details.) Order total is invalid.

If I try and fill in the rest of the information as a guest, I get the error:
Error: Please enter a password.
But of course, since I'm checking out as a guest, there is no password field.

Please advise whats not lining up here. I can whisper my website URL.
Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @keeneyemedia,

Yes - please whisper the URL - we'll take a look.
    @keeneyemedia, {in response to whisper}

Thanks for sending that through - we'll take a look and get back to you asap.
    @keeneyemedia,

So I believe the issue here - and I can't believe it hasn't come up before - is PayPal won't handle $0 transactions, so it will error if you try to checkout using PayPal with a $0 cart.

What you need to do in those instances is actually send the customers over to the checkout where they can provide billing/shipping details without having to provide any payment details. We'll work on a fix locally to correct that, but in the meantime, you could also add some javascript to your cart template to hide the PayPal option if the cart total is $0. Let us know if you need a hand with that.
  • @fc_adam,

Interesting. Yes if you could point me in the right direction to hide the PayPal option (and also bring the main checkout button back - I would need to add some inline CSS "display: block !important;"), that'd be great!
    @keeneyemedia,

If you remove the CSS you currently have that's hiding the checkout button, this should hide it based on the order total:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery(document).ready(function() {
      if (fc_json.total_price == 0) {
        jQuery("a.fc_cart_checkout_paypal").hide();
      } else {
        jQuery("a.fc_cart_checkout").hide();
      }
    });
    </script>

• Great! That worked!

Now the 2nd issue is: when going to the "main checkout", I can't seem to continue as a Guest if using a previously used email. If I put in an email, choose "Guest" and fill out my information, I still get an error:
    "Error: Please enter a password."
    However, I can't get the password field to show, and the "Continue" and "Proceed to Checkout" buttons don't work anymore. Any thoughts?
    @keeneyemedia,

I just gave your checkout a test, and after I enter the email address it checks it and returns that it found the account and to enter a password. If I then select "guest" though, it updates to let me check out as a guest using that email address just fine. Is that still not what you're seeing?
  • Hey Adam,

No thats not whats happening with me.

When I enter the email, it tells me theres already an account. I can choose to checkout as a Guest, and proceed to fill in my information as a guest. But still when I click "Complete Your Checkout" at the bottom, I get the error:
    "Error: Please enter a password."
    Its at that point the page seems to break. The radio buttons to choose between Guest or Account no longer do anything, nor does the "Complete Your Checkout" button.

Strange right?
    edited June 2013
    @keeneyemedia,

Do you see that same issue if you proceed to checkout first before going to PayPal? Also, what browser are you using?
  • Its only when going to checkout before going to Paypal (i.e. when the coupon brings the price to $0). If I go to Paypal first, it works fine.

I'm using Chrome.
    @keeneyemedia,

I'm having a hard time replicating this, but I am seeing a couple issues that I hadn't noticed before. Specifically:

You have an error with your coupon logic on the checkout:
    for (var c in fc_json.coupons) {
      if (c.hasOwnProperty(key)) coupon_length++;
    }

That should be:
    for (var c in fc_json.coupons) {
      if (c.hasOwnProperty('id')) coupon_length++;
    }

Also, for your custom shipping rates, in the rates radio input value, instead of starting off like "priority|", "media|" or "international|" you need to specify a number like "1|", "2|" and "3|". The javascript will break otherwise.

Try fixing those two issues and see if that get's it working for you
  • @fc_adam,

I think changing those 2 things got me up and running. I was able to move past that error now. Thank you!!

This leads to the followup question: because the shipping doesn't get added until after the Paypal screen, is there a way to add a disclaimer to the Paypal checkout page to notify customers that they'll choose their shipping option on the next screen?
    @keeneyemedia,

Unfortunately we don't have any control over the PayPal checkout page - and I don't know that it's possible to set anything from your PayPal account side either.

In our next major release we're planning to include shipping and tax calculations on the cart - but until then, your best bet would be to funnel people through the checkout first so when they reach PayPal everything has been calculated.
  • Ok no problem. Thats what I was guessing. We'll figure something else out for that. :)