Is it possible to have recurring billing for shipping only?

ChubbRckChubbRck Member
in Help edited June 2013
Hi, last question for now, I promise :)

I'm trying to sell an item in my store called a 6 month club - each month the customer gets sent an item. Ideally, we'd like to charge shipping each month as the items are sent. Do you know if this is possible?

Thanks,

Nick
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @ChubbRck,

So there wouldn't be any monthly cost to send the product itself? Two ways you could approach it. You could add the shipping as a line-item in the cart, and set that product up as a subscription. That would only work though if you're offering some sort of flat rate to the customer for shipping.

Another approach, and probably the better one, would be to set up a $0 product for the monthly product, and then the customer can select a shipping method on the checkout. Shipping will be charged with the subscription product as normal each time it renews, so while their cart subtotal would be $0, they'd be charged shipping on top of that.
  • Hi fc_adam,

Thanks for your thoughtful responses, they are really helpful. I do need live shipping rates, so your second option would be the best way to go. To answer your question, there is no monthly cost to send the product. The customer would pay one time to 'join the club', and then just get charged shipping when the item ships each time.

My client would prefer to charge for the item one time, and then just charge shipping each month... do you know if that is possible? I guess I could include a $0 subscription product along with a regular product (with free shipping set, etc.)... or maybe I can convince the client to break up the one time charge into monthly pieces and just make that a subscription product. Do these sound like reasonable approaches to you?

Thanks again for your help, FoxyCart is the BOMB.

Nick
    @ChubbRck,

How you described it there is exactly how I would approach it - normal non-subscription based product for the one time fee and free shipping, and then a $0 product with live shipping rates set.
  • Thanks for your continued help, Adam.

I have one more follow-up question that hopefully you can help with. I'm trying to create a subscription product that only runs for 3 months. I looked on the forums and could only find information from several years ago, stating that I had to run a JQuery script to calculate the end date 3 months from today, format it correctly, and inject it into the form. Is this still the best way to do this?

Also, I'm using links, not forms, so I'm wondering how best to adapt the technique for my purposes. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Nick
  • I should also add that I've added the subscription / one-time charge combo as such:

https://eatcoolhaus.foxycart.com/cart?name=Pint Club 3 Month Delivery&price=29&code=pcd3&category=membership&weight=0&image=http://www.nicksantan.com/foxytest/web/store_images/formatted_pint.jpg&2:name=3 Month Membership&2:code=pcd3m&2:price=0&2:weight=6&2:category=overnight&sub_frequency=1m

Unfortunately, in the subscriptions portion of foxycart, it seems as though it is planning to charge the 29 of the one time charge rather than the 0 + shipping of the subscription. Am I missing something? Thanks again for your help -

Nick
  • Ooh, please disregard my last email - I see I forgot a 2: before the sub_frequency, thus assigning the subscription to my one-time charge. :)

But the first question still stands - is there no easier way to have the subscription expire automatically after a set number of months?
    @ChubbRck,

We have a feature ticket to implement relative end times for subscriptions so you can just specify something like "3m" to be an end date of 3 months from the start date, but unfortunately it hasn't made it up the list to the top yet.

For now, jQuery is definitely your best bet. We have a little snippet that might help make it easier, although this is set up for forms rather than links. If you switch your approach to forms, you could make use of that script and you can specify a relative start and end date. Details on that here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/snippets/add_to_cart_form/set_sub_start_end_date_to_future_date
  • Thanks for your response, Adam - that's kind of a bummer. I've been doing HMAC encoding of my links manually - is this approach incompatible with that?
    edited April 2017
    @ChubbRck,

Link/form validation would add another layer of complexity.

If you had relative dates in your link or form, and updated them with javascript - your encryptions for that field would then be incorrect - unless you set the field to open, in which case you could update it without any issue - so that could work. The open set up is designed for inputs, but can work with links with a little manhandling (which if you're encrypting them by hand should be fine).

How's your skills with javascript? It would be possible to convert that snippet to work with links with a bit of work.
  • Hey Adam,

Thanks for your help, again, it's really appreciated -

A quick question - what do you mean by setting the field to 'open'? Do you mean disabling HMAC encryption entirely?
    @ChubbRck,

No, you can specify an input as being open, so the customer can edit it - so it's useful for quantity fields for example. Details about it can be seen on the wiki page: http://wiki.foxycart.com/static/redirect/price_validation