Delayed payments and subscriptions...

flinx777flinx777 Member
in Help edited June 2013
I am about to setup a Foxy Cart store for a client that is migrating all their clients from another subscription based ecommerce platform. All of their existing clients are paid up through July 11th, 2013. We were wanting to setup their FC store now and have all their existing clients come to the new site we're building over the next few weeks leading up to July 11th, 2013, enter their CC and billing info and submit it. Then we were *hoping* that these users are not billed until July 12th, 2013. Is it possible in FC to have people enter their info, delay the payment until a future date and then begin a subscription? All of these users would then be billed every month on the 12th.

Seeing if that was possible. If so, is there any documentation for this?

Thanks!
Comments
  • winstonwinston FoxyCart Team
    @flinx777,
    This shouldn't be a problem. Check out the documentation on subscriptions here:
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/v/1.1/products/subscriptions

Specifically, see the last section Subscription-Related Product Options for information on how to define the product options for your subscription products.

The timeline you have in mind is relatively short so please test as much as possible to ensure things are working well, and don't hesitate to ask us if you have more questions.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hey @flinx777. Heads up that you should expect a lot of billing failures if you aren't billing for another year. I don't know industry-wide numbers, but in a given year you'll likely see a significant portion fail because they've had cards lost/stolen or otherwise closed. Just a heads up so it's not a surprise.
  • Hey @winston ... perfect...exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Hey @brett ... we'd be billing in the next few weeks, not another year. Do you see any potential problems with that? The clients will be entering their CC info in, so *hopefully* they'll be entering solid credit cards that should last for awhile, right?
  • @winston I just realized I forgot to ask another question: can I delay a regular payment as well? Can delay payment only be done on subscriptions?
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @flinx777,

The only way to delay a payment automatically is by setting up the payment as a subscription. You can set it to only occur once by setting the end date to the day after the start date though to make it a single payment. Note that you'd also need to set a sub_frequency parameter as well, that's required for all subscription based products.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @flinx777, or you could force the "save CC" checkbox on checkout, and manually do the transaction using UOE. (Or you could conceivably do an API based transaction, but … that's not really documented yet and is kind of experimental / top secret :)

Also, if you do want to do the subscription approach, you could tweak the output in Twig so it doesn't look like a subscription. All the language and display can be changed to make it make sense in your situation.