Checkout template and dynamic content

drwagner13drwagner13 Member
in Help edited November 2008
I have only begin to delve into the checkout template. The one someone set up for us is appallingly bad, and I can't understand why they didn't use your default template! (I'm sure that will become clear eventually).

Anyway, I can't understand how this is set up. In ModX I have page templates which generate dynamic content, like menus, footer text, and the like. It seems to me that in Foxycart I have to provide the raw html for such menus, and then risk having all my links in the checkout template break when the site content changes. Perhaps I'm not understanding something basic here? If I want to change a chunk in ModX, do I then have to run around and copy and edit the html that is output and paste it into my checkout template, and recache it? That's pretty baroque, eh?
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    When you update your store, you will have to recache the template page in the FoxyCart admin. As long as your template page is publicly available, you just have to provide that url in the FoxyCart admin. In the future we'll probably build an API that MODx will hook into which would call that recache method automatically upon saving your template page. We're just not there yet and have some more critical improvements to make in the mean time. As always, you're welcome to add that request here: http://requests.foxycart.com

As a side note, most checkout and cart templates are kept pretty basic to avoid having to update them often. Basic navigation including header and footer setups is usually all that's required.
  • That's what I thought.

In the meantime I'll make my template simpler.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Make sure you give the second and especially the third screencast a look:
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/screencasts

If you're going to integrate, that's a really quick and easy way to make it happen. But (and this is a BIG BUT) don't use the "Standard" template if you're going to customize things extensively. Instead, use the "text" theme as a starting point, as described in the screencast. The "standard" theme is locked down really hard in order to prevent conflicts with your own stylesheets. The text theme is much, much easier to customize.

If you just want to stick the standard inside your template, that's fine, but if you want to use it as a starting point to go somewhere else, it's best to use the text theme.