The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Custom Fields not showing in spreadsheet

cfncfn Member
in Help edited November 2008
Hi,

I'm using 4.0 and have some custom fields in my checkout template.

However they are not appearing in the "transactions" section and are not appearing in the CSV download. Interested to know if something's wrong or if this is standard behavior.

Thanks!

John
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hmmm... we'll take a look. They definitely show up in the XML, but Luke will update on the CSV and transactions. He's out on a short trip so it might take him a day or two to respond, but we appreciate your patience and the notification that they're not showing up for you.
  • Thanks Brett!
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Yeah, that would be standard behavior at this point. The CSV export has not been updated in some time and is missing some information including coupons and shiptos. Would you mind requesting "Updated Admin CSV Export" on our requests page? http://requests.foxycart.com

We'll get to it eventually, but if we have a lot of user requests for it, that would justify the time spent on updating it instead of solving other outstanding needs. Thanks John.

(I also like checking things off lists... Achiever is #1 out of my top 5)
  • AndrewAndrew Member
    Hi,

I'd just like to ask if this sort of functionality is now available? I'm using version 0.5.1.

Thanks
    Andrew
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey Andrew. Could you vote for this on our requests page, please? As you can see, there are a lot of high priority requests on there we're currently focusing on.

Providing this functionality involves versioning off the admin since features change with each version. If someone expects the CSV to be a certain way right now and we go changing it, that could cause some problems. That's the reason we always recommend people use the datafeed to gather information about their transactions. With 051, you can also get full transaction information using the API.

Hope that helps.
    Also worth mentioning on this thread (just for the record) is that CSVs are obviously only two dimensional, and outputting multi-dimensional data (like a cart, with custom fields, and multiple items in the cart, each with multiple custom fields, and etc.) just gets really tricky with a CSV type format. Odds are that even when the CSV export does include all the fields it still won't export them perfectly how everybody would like.

Just worth mentioning. Like Luke said, the XML is generally a better way to go, but obviously sometimes you just want a CSV for one reason or another.
  • AndrewAndrew Member
    edited June 2009
    Great, then I'll use the API and get an XML file if that's a better way to do things.

What was going to happen was that the company that handles the shipping would log in once a week and download a CSV of the last weeks purchases, but with the API I can set a cronjob on our server to just connect, get them all, format, and email it straight to them weekly.

may I just ask how to return the last weeks' customers, rather than just a specific customer? I'm looking at the API docs now( http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:api?s=api ), and it seems the only way is to get specific customer data by their ID or email address?

I see there is a <last_modified_date> field. is it possible to request customers by this field?

Or is there an entirely better way to do this?

Thanks
    Andrew
    Hi Andrew.
    First off, the API is definitely a better way to go for what you need. I'm glad that'll work.

Second, what you're asking about is actually at the top of the list of API improvements that we want to make. I'll let Luke update you as to when you might see that, but we know that type of functionality would be _tremendously_ useful for stuff like this.

In the meantime you could just do a quick logging of the XML datafeed to your own database and store the dates, transaction IDs, and customer info (maybe, not necessary). That way you could query your own database to get the appropriate transaction IDs for a time-period, then query the FC API as necessary.

Alternately you could just store the raw XML of the datafeed along with the timestamp. That way you could just get all the necessary XML locally without needing to use the API at all.