ETA on the supper shipping?

adambeazleyadambeazley Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited November 2008
Hey guys, I know you are working hard on Foxycart, so don't take this the wrong way. I am just curious about the ETA for the supper shipping upgrade to the software.

I am currently using another cart system (eager to make the switch) but am paying for foxycart, so I can really test it before switching. Got foxEE expression engine module and am ready to go, just waiting on your shipping upgrade so i can really make it work well.
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey Adam, thanks for posting.

We've always believed in under promising and over delivering... but we get that wrong sometimes too. With so much to do, it's easy to get overwhelmed or make promises that realistically can't be kept. We try to avoid both outcomes.

That being said, it's difficult for us to give you a specific time line. We had some disagreements internally on what to do next and though some campaigned for SuperShip, others knew SuperTax had to be in play. Many of our stores have been able to use the live shipping rates, flat rate shipping and/or a combination of various discounts (or custom JavaScript modifications on the checkout) to get a workable shipping system. As for taxes, on the other hand, some stores were dead in the water. We have a lot Canadians that have been really really excited about FoxyCart and have waited patiently for us to get a solution to them.

So, SuperTax won out and we're really close to beginning testing with 0.4.1 (with the FoxEE developers, as it were). Once that's out the door, SuperShip and Paypal Standard are next on the list. We also have a couple bounties for the beginning of December... so it might take a little while before it's out there.

I wish we had better news for you, but that's where we stand. We'll get there, but it won't happen overnight. We greatly appreciate your support and patience.
  • sniff... sniff... :-(

I wish I had the fund to buy everything wholesale and use one courier, but we are just not at that stage YET.

I need multiple couriers, from multiple zipcodes all added together. To do this with javascipt and JSON would take me years
  • Are we any closer to seeing this super ship?
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Yes and no. Our next release, v061, will have a whole host of subscription improvements. The next release we are planning to implement custom endpoints, which will be the first step towards ultimate flexibility without javascript hacks. So we're closer, but the first step will be more geared towards programmers. We're not positive exactly how things will fall into place after that, but with a custom shipping endpoint it'll basically allow for whatever functionality you'd need.

Does that help?
  • oskayoskay Member
    Seven years later... Any closer to release?
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @oskay,

We have released the custom shipping endpoint Brett noted in his previous reply there - you can see information about that at https://wiki.foxycart.com/v/2.0/shipping#custom_shipping_endpoint. That allows you to set up any custom options and logic you want, whether it's your own custom tiered shipping calculations or requesting rates from a third-party provider.

We're now working towards improving the options available within the administration natively as well - which is coming up on our roadmap. We don't have an ETA of when that might come through, but it's planned, and something I'm really excited for to remove the need for the javascript snippets.
  • oskayoskay Member
    One issue that we're currently running into is that different shippers (UPS vs USPS) have very different approaches to dimensional weight charges, and so a large but lightweight box will always be way off in shipping cost -- either too high or low -- with one service or the other, depending if we lie about the weight. Since "dimensions of the shipment are not sent", that certainly makes things challenging.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @oskay,

Thanks for clarifying. Supporting dimensional shipping is definitely planned, but still an upcoming feature. We know it's important to a lot of stores though, especially as some carriers now offer better rates that rely on dimensional weights.