sharing member login databases for seamless purchase

tankmantankman Member
in General edited November 2008
Any chance you will offer the ability to share databases with partnering sites so that the user doesn't have to log in twice when making a purchase?

We are considering going with FoxEE module for Expression Engine for current and future clients. If we do that, we will be one of your bigger clients I imagine.

Regards,
Comments
  • this would also be a great feature for modx+foxyback. therefore, if someone signs in to their account via modx, foxycart will recognize their email address+password upon checout!

ss
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We actually already have a way to do this integration since the XML Datafeed includes a hash of the customer's password. The only catch is, they need to create the account on FoxyCart first. In the future, we'll have an API available (vote for it here: http://requests.foxycart.com/) which will let you make an API call on your site to create a FoxyCart user directly. We've had a customer or two ask if we could import a customer list for them to get things started. If you have those same needs, please let us know.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    How Luke described it is how FoxyBack (and I think FoxEE) are doing it currently, but we definitely want to get some "true" API functionality so you can do bi-directional synching of user records. As is you can end up using FoxyCart as the "master" user record, then sync back to your own db all changes as they come in via the XML datafeed. As far as the "catch" that Luke described, I've done a handful of sites (MODx) where we actually send the initial user creation through FoxyCart (as a $0 product) then create the user in MODx, so they start out synched.

Whether or not we'll ever do a shared authentication remains to be seen (since that gets into really interesting and potentially serious security issues), but the login on the FC checkout is so quick that it shouldn't be too big a deal.