(10002 Authentication/Authorization Failed) You do not have permissions to make this API call

qmanningqmanning Member
in Help edited October 2013
We are using PayPal Payments pro, and have received this error when using the TestServers.

"Error: There was an error processing your payment: (10002 Authentication/Authorization Failed) You do not have permissions to make this API call"

Can someone please help me figure out what's causing this issue? Is it something I need to fix on the FoxyCart side? Or is this something that should be fixed on the PayPal side?
  • winstonwinston FoxyCart Team
    Hey @qmanning

Have you followed everything in the wiki for setting up Paypal Payments Pro and obtaining a test account? http://wiki.foxycart.com/gateways/paypal/payments_pro
  • Yes, I've done that, gotten my test email, etc. I've double-checked everything, and am still getting the same error. Not sure why.

Are you using the test account to hit Paypal test servers, and not the production servers? Sorry for all the questions, but Paypal sandbox accounts are kind of a pain.
  • Don't apologize. I'm realizing PayPal is a bit of a pain here :D

I've used both my TEST account and my ACTUAL account. Presently, I'm trying to test things out with the test information.

I have attached screenshots of my settings page (with my email information redacted, of course) for both the LIVE and TEST options.

Last question, since everything in your screenshots looks good. Have you added api access to the FoxyCart sandbox server? http://wiki.foxycart.com/gateways/paypal/payments_pro#obtaining_a_test_account
  • qmanningqmanning Member
    edited October 2013
    PayPal doesn't like the "sandbox_api1.foxycart.com" name, and tells me to enter in a "valid Third Party API"

PayPal Settings

PayPal Error with sandbox_api1.foxycart.com Name
    One of our devs tells me that you'll need to use your own Paypal sandbox account to run test mode - if you use ours you won't be able to see the transactions in Paypal that you run. I'll see if I can get someone to add to the conversation to help out a bit.
  • Ok, well, here's the deal - I really don't care about running a TEST mode. I'm simply more interested in getting it going live.

So, if this issue will be fixed by just pushing to the live server, that's awesome. I'd just do that.

Is it possible to use a test credit card number with the LIVE servers?
  • fredfred FoxyCart Team
    @qmanning — I don't think that's possible, PayPal will return an error code. You could try though, PayPal's test Visa number is 4111111111111111.

I usually use my credit card and run $1.00 transactions to test, or VOID the charge through the merchant account.
  • Question: Is there a payment system you guys have found that works more seamlessly than PayPal? We are totally open to switching, especially in light of your comments that the PayPal integration can be rough.

We just want to make this more seamless and not have these issues.
  • Quick Update: I tried with the PayPal visa you mentioned, and got this error:

"Error: There was an error processing your payment: (10544 Transaction cannot be processed.) Please use a different payment card."

Now, my hope would be - this is a different error than previous, and seems to show the card had issues. Would this mean that the card was being processed, but received a flag because it was an incorrect number or similar?
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team

That error is a better error to see - it's showing that the card number just isn't valid. Are you able to process an actual transaction using a real credit card? That will be the real test.

In terms of other options, there certainly is. If your store is based in the US or Canada we have a couple options where we have partnered with great providers that allows us to merchant account + gateway options that we feel are both competitive and include great support and pricing. You can see more details of those on our website here: http://www.foxycart.com/features/feature/payment-methods/payment-gateways - we also support a whole host of other options that you can see here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/gateways/ another great one to mention there would be Stripe which a lot of our merchants have had great success with.
  • It's all working! THANKS SO MUCH!