Authorize.net "captured" vs "authorized"

johnb41johnb41 Member
in Help edited December 2008
By default when a transaction is made, the transaction is "Captured". Is there any way to make it just "Authorized"? So then I can go into my account and capture it manually?

I need this because I don't want Authorize.net to settle the orders automatically once per day... i like to wait a few days to make sure no customers need to cancel the order.

Thanks!
John
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi John.
    I know you can set this from the Auth.net side of things, so I'd try that first. If it still is capturing let us know and we'll see if we can make that a setting on our side of the fence.

You could also use the "offline processing" method and then enter the orders manually in the virtual terminal. Not ideal, but it'd be a workaround for the time being if we can't get anything else working.
  • Brett,

I'm unable to default it to "Authorize" on the Auth.net side of the fence. There is not a setting for this. The closest thing I can find is the "time of day" to settle the transaction.

Do you know where such a setting would be? If not, can this be done on the Foxycart side?

Thanks!
    John
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    It would be something you'd have to request here: http://requests.foxycart.com

That is something we can implement in the future, but it will be a little tricky considering how many different gateways we integrate with. Also, for some clients who may not understand those details, it could be a source of confusion. I do see it being a valuable setting to modify, though. It can get a little confusing though if FoxyCart thinks a sale took place, but it didn't actually go through. We don't currently have settings (other than hiding a transaction) to manage order status because we've always believed that's something a real order/customer/inventory management system should take care of. That's why projects like FoxEE and FoxyBack or valuable.

Please vote for it though and we'll get to it eventually if enough people find it useful.
  • Hey John. As another Foxycart user (tho using CyberSource as the PG) just curious. Can I assume from the fact that Authorize.net is capturing sales in a single transaction that you're selling either downloads or subscriptions?
    This discussion might be useful as well:
    http://forum.foxycart.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=765
  • Brett or Luke,

We have a client asking about this as well. Can you ping me via email with any ideas on how to implement and if so how much it might cost?

Thanks!
  • I need a way to do this as well. Many of our orders have a combination of items that are instock and out of stock. Many times our customers would like the in-stock parts sent right away and the backordered items sent when they become available. Or the order contains just products that are not in stock, and we may not receive these from the manufacture for up to 2 weeks. Can this be custom written into Foxy Cart? Or is there no way this can be done?

Thanks
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Unfortunately it won't be available until we build it in as an option. As of this post, it looks like only 7 people have voted for it: http://requests.foxycart.com/
  • Any Ideas on how I can over ride this without access to cart code? Any way we can pay for "custom development" from you guys to change that piece of code on just our cart? Or can we have access to that page to hard code it into ours ourselves? Are there any payment gateways that you know of that have an option to over ride this on there side?
    Thanks in Advance
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    A lot of payment gateways have this option on their end, but I think what is passed in from the cart will override what is setup in the account. Have you spoken with authorize.net about this to see if they can force your transactions to be auth only regardless of what the cart sends? As for a bounty on this, we'll probably need a few more people interested in it since we've got a couple other big things we have to do right now.
  • I spoke with authorize.net and this is not something they can override. I am assuming there is no way I can have access to the page generated after our cart template is uploaded to hard code this in? I am not an expert developer by any means but I took a look at the sample code provided by authorize.net, and it looks like the only piece of code I would have to change is this --- x_type => AUTH_CAPTURE --- I know for you guys to do it for everyone is a bigger deal. Just looking for a solution, we have spent many hours converting our sites to work with foxycart and writing custom shipping code to fit our needs. I love how the cart works, and the fact that it has an xml datafeed that I can tie to our OMS, but charging peoples cards and not shipping the goods within 3-4 days is an issue for us. Any idea when this would be implemented? 3 months, 6 months, a year? Just trying to figure out if I should cut my losses now or hang in.

Thanks again
  • After calling around to the gateways foxycart supports the lady at PlugnPay says that they can override it and make the account auth only. So this should solve our issue. Thanks for the quick responses to my questions! Any way I can change my feature request votes now? :) Now I want to be able to accept PayPal :) Thanks for putting out such a user friendly product, Keep up the good work.
    I think you can change your votes... Pretty sure. We'll definitely get to PayPal though, so I'd keep my votes on the Auth-only just so we know you need it.
    Just for the sake of tying up loose ends, I figured I'd add a note to this thread that auth-only / auth+capture settings are now available on most of the gateways that FoxyCart supports (in v051+).
  • I can't seem to find this anywhere in the forums - if I authorize a card and can't ship product for, say, two weeks - how do I then go back and capture when the goods ship?
    edited August 2009
    Check the other thread you posted in (and fwiw, we answer everything so you don't need to double-up on the questions), but short answer: You do it in your gateway.
  • thanks, Brett. However, in order to do it in my gateway, I need a way of referencing the transaction. Foxy doesn't give me back the transaction number from my gateway (in this case, authorize.net). Without that, I have to way of finding the authorization I need to capture (do I?)

Thx
    Hi Joshua.
    That data is available in the XML datafeed, but it seems like an increasing number of people are asking for it in the emailed receipt. Could you vote for that here:
    http://requests.foxycart.com/

It's definitely been coming up more often lately.
  • Hi again, Brett.

The data doesn't appear to be in the XML datafeed. If is it - can you please let me know what field has the authorize.net transaction id? Hopefully I'm wrong.

I tried to vote on this but the voting page is in another language (mandarin, maybe?)

Also, is it possible for the xml datafeed to have the full transaciton information so I can transmit it all to the gateway through our back end system? (I'd need transaction id, full CC#, exp date, etc.)
    Whoa, another language? That's super odd. Are you perhaps using Tor or Anonymizer or anything else that'd be modifying your IP or headers to confuse language/locale/location detection script? The request board is uservoice.com, which is a great system. Definitely strange.

CC# in the XML I think I just emailed you about, so let's discuss it there.

The auth# is in this node:
    <processor_response>Authorize.net Transaction ID:2699</processor_response>

Are you not seeing that in your live XML?
  • Hi Brett,

I didn't get an e-mail from you. How can I send you my e-mail address privately?

Also, that transaction ID seems to be foxycart's transaction id, not the one from authorize.net
    Hi Joshua.
    Sorry, somebody else at your company was emailing about the same thing. I've combined you both into the existing conversation.

We'll get back to you about which ID is in which place.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey Joshua. That definitely looks like a bug. It's surprising to me that it's never come up before. As much as we'd like to go head and make this change now, it may adversely affect existing stores so we're going to make this change in our next release, which should be coming soon.

Thank you for pointing it out to us.
  • Thanks, Luke. What am I supposed to do in the meantime? I can't process any transactions.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    You can't process transactions at all? Sorry, I'm a bit confused by this since this has never been brought up before and we have a lot of customers using both AUTH CAPTURE and AUTH ONLY. If we can make a change without breaking things, we will, but we also don't want to break existing setups which is why we version our system. Most hosted companies don't do this as well and make people very angry when the change things.
    edited August 2009
    Joshua, are you programmatically capturing previously authorized transactions?

Edit: I've found out from Howard that Hines is the web guy, so we're going to try to chat with him to see if we can get this sorted out.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey Joshua. After looking at this closer, it's definitely a bug and I understand the challenge you're facing based on reading through Authorize.net's documentation a little further: "Transaction ID: The payment gateway assigned identification number for the transaction. This value must be used for any follow on transactions such as a CREDIT, PRIOR_AUTH_CAPTURE or VOID." We were incorrectly saving and displaying the eighth value (Invoice Number) instead of the seventh.

We've gone ahead and fixed the bug in all store versions of Authorize.net as of right now, but unfortunately we don't have the original gateway transaction id's saved anywhere in our database for the transactions that have already taken place. Is there anything Authorize.net might be able to do for you to process these transactions?

AUTH_ONLY is a relatively new feature for us, so that explains why no other customers have run into this issue before.

Thank you again for bringing it to our attention and helping us improve FoxyCart.