Coupon for One Free Product, Use only once.

ahsodesignsahsodesigns Member
in Help edited October 2013
We're working on an eCommerce site for a Drummer :
bensesar.wpengine.com
He's selling instructional video downloads.
He wants a coupon to give to his students that will allow them to download one free video,
Only to be used once, and not dependent on purchasing other products, i.e. not a 'buy one get one free' coupon.
We could use a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks again,
Tagged:
Comments
  • winstonwinston FoxyCart Team
    @ahsodesigns

Are all the videos priced the same? If so, you could create a coupon of the type "Discount by amount based on price" and just discount by the cost of a video. That way, if there's only one video in the cart, it will be free, but if there are multiple, the others will still have their associated cost.
  • I've got a similar question. We ran a crowdfunding campaign in which people who donated received a free copy of our film. Rather than just email a link to everyone so anyone can share it, we'd like to generate a coupon code for them to use just once and get the download for free.

Any way to verify the use of the code and only use once?
    @marko

Have you reviewed our coupon documentation? http://wiki.foxycart.com/v/1.1/coupons_and_discounts#coupon_codes

You could generate a massive amount of coupon codes and then limit each codes usage to as few uses as you want. As far as I'm aware, there's no built-in way to generate a coupon as a result of a successful transaction - it's something you'd have to do manually. You could probably do something like that with our API: http://wiki.foxycart.com/v/1.1/api but it'd require custom dev.
  • @winston

I did but I didn't fully understand it. Excuse my lack of understanding of shopping carts. But I will look it over again. I had asked another user if this was possible but he didn't seem to think so, this is why I asked.

Thanks, I'll post if I have any other issues.
    @marko

No problem, and don't worry, it is definitely kind of confusing. Feel free to post or email in if you have specific questions as you're testing it out, we're happy to help!