The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Paypal Subscriptions and the datafeed

ChuckTrukkChuckTrukk Member
in Help edited November 2013
Hey guys,

What's going on:
I'm a longtime Foxycart programmer. I've got a site I've setup that uses the datafeed. We recently allowed Paypal Express subscriptions. When someone uses this, we get the original receipt/datafeed.

Problem:
We're not receiving a datafeed for future subscriptions.

Question:
If someone uses Paypal Express to pay for their subscription, does Foxycart send a datafeed item for the recurring payments?

About this site:
foxy domain: myolivetree
example transaction id: 134622319
example url: myolivetree dot com/exclusive-special#seven-payment

Thanks for your help.
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @ChuckTrukk,

So essentially, if there is a receipt in your stores FoxyCart administration's transaction report and you have the datafeed turned on, then your datafeed endpoint should have received a payload for that. Subsequent subscription runs will trigger a new transaction as well - so that should be added to your transactions report section and send an datafeed payload as well.

If a datafeed doesn't send, you should get an email saying that there was an issue, and the transaction in the report will display with red stripes to visually show it had an issue sending the datafeed.

Looking at the transaction you mentioned, expanding it in the transactions report, there is a note at the bottom that the datafeed was successfully processed. That means that our server received a response of "foxy" from your datafeed endpoint. You'll need to check your endpoint if it's not processing certain transactions.
  • The Problem:
    We're not receiving a datafeed for future subscriptions.

The original transaction ran correctly. We got the data and ran with it.

But that date was September 21. And it recurs monthly. But if you look in Foxy, there have been no transactions since then. BUT there should be - because we have already passed October 21.

This has happened with other recurring subscriptions as well when someone uses Paypal Express with the recurring subscriptions.

Do you see what I mean?

Charlie

• fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @ChuckTrukk,

In that case, it's less about the datafeed, and more about the fact that your subscriptions aren't running correctly and so aren't triggering the next renewal date. Whether you're using PayPal Express or not - each subscription renewal will appear as a new transaction for your store in the admin.

That said, the PayPal Express integration for subscriptions requires some extra steps - have you completed those as noted here: https://wiki.foxycart.com/gateways/paypal/express_checkout
  • I feel I'm not explaining it correctly or you're not understanding.

1a. The person checked out with a subscription through Paypal Express
    1b. We received the datafeed perfectly.

2a. The next month the Paypal processed the subscription
    2b. We DID NOT receive anything in the Foxycart datafeed.
    2c. Also, this transaction did not show in the Foxycart admin area.

Can you tell me why it's not showing in your backend and not triggering a datafeed?

Also, if you check the receipt (transaction id posted above), foxycart knows it's a subscription:
    Subscription Details:
    Frequency: Every Month
    Start Date: 2013-09-21
    Next Date: 2013-10-21
    End Date: 2014-03-23

Also, if you check the sub-token, the subscription is active. And if you check the transaction details, you can see no other transactions have occurred.

Also, this is not a 1-time incident. We have multiple subscriptions this is happening to. Can you help?
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    edited November 2013
    Hey @ChuckTrukk.
    I think @fc_adam missed this, but we don't support future subs with PayPal Express Checkout, so that's very likely the problem. That said, the PayPal Express Checkout buttons shouldn't show up if there's a future sub in the cart initially, so … can you whisper me the URL and the steps taken to get a future subscription with PayPal as a payment option?

EDIT: I might be misunderstanding. You're saying "future subscriptions" but is the initial transaction (that you are receiving) for $0 (with the actual money to be charged in the future), or is it for more than $0?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Also, could answer Adam's question about the additional requirements for configuring the IPN for use with PayPal Express subscriptions? Also, permissions need to be set on the account as well which is described in these documents:

https://wiki.foxycart.com/gateways/paypal/payments_pro#setting_up_paypal_payments_pro_for_foxycart
    https://wiki.foxycart.com/gateways/paypal/express_checkout#subscriptions_and_recurring_billing_with_paypal_express_checkout

If it's happening for all of the PayPal subscriptions and they aren't future subscriptions (as in, the subscription start date is in the future), it's very possible the IPN is not properly configured or the proper permissions have not been set up in the PayPal administration.

When I look at the subscriptions for the store in the admin, I see a number of them which have not processed at all beyond the first transaction, which indicates to me the IPN was not configured so our system has no way of knowing when PayPal runs the subscription again (which would explain why subscription transactions beyond the original transaction are not showing up in our system).

This can be really frustrating, but unfortunately it's mostly out of our control. We've tried to clarify in the documentation the importance of configuring the IPN, but it's not something we can do from our end. If you have any suggestions for how we could improve this, please let us know.