Adding a "Tip" to an Order

nickffnickff Member
in Help edited November 2013
Hello,

So a client of mine has an interesting request that I would love to get some input on. They are a restaurant with an online ordering menu and are curious about adding a field for a "tip". Obviously this would need to be a text input field that applied the entered amount to the entire order, so it would make sense to live on the checkout page.

Does anyone have any experience performing a customization like this? Just trying to see if this is even possible within the checkout page, and if so, how much time it would take to pull off.

Let me know!
Tagged:
Comments
  • winstonwinston FoxyCart Team
    Hey @nickff

Another FC user was recently working with it, they go into their implementation a bit here: https://forum.foxycart.com/discussion/comment/47143#Comment_47143

The user was @ken_border7 I believe, maybe he can chime in here.
  • Hi nickff,

Yes, we also apply tip in our store, we add it as a product because that seems to be the only way to modify the order total outside of tax, and shipping.
  • @ken_border7,

This is awesome. I'm wondering if there's a way to include an extra field like that into the colorbox overlay, rather than having to do a dedicated shopping cart page...

This may be asking too much, but would there be any way you could provide a step-by-step tutorial on how you accomplished this? I'm guessing that would help many people to come...

Let me know!