Live Shipping: How to Troubleshoot Pipe Errors

bushybushy Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited December 2008
I've been getting a lot of emails the past 24 hours from customers who cannot complete transactions because the connection from Foxycart to the USPS db (our sole shipping method) is spinning until it times out and not returning a shipping total. Sometimes the connection is up and transactions go through. Sometimes it's down and then the transaction is dead in the water. I'm feeling kind of helpless here. It could be an issue on the FC end. It could be the USPS. Or it could be a pipe issue anywhere along the line between the two. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated. One thing I can say for sure, it has nothing to do with FC configuration as I've changed nothing in the past month. Unfortunately, this issue also coincides with a bulk mailing announcing a new product that has caused a spike in people trying to place orders.
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey bushy. Check the sticky post we have up. USPS' api is down and there's not much we can do about it unfortunately.

We recommend adding FedEx and UPS in the mean time.
  • Got it Luke, thanks. Sorry I missed the sticky (stickies tend to focus on general truisms rather than late breaking news so my eyes often gloss over them). Guess I'll mash up a fixed rate workaround until USPS gets their stuff together. Please do keep us posted. This is the one month of the year you don't want your customers hitting errors when ordering.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Yeah, our stickies tend to be relevant and somewhat timely, but I agree with you (though I didn't realize it until you just said it ;).