The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

start_date vs. next_transaction_date

jlivingstonjlivingston Member
in Help edited December 2013
Hi Guys,

I've been setting the start date for some subscriptions to a certain amount of days in the future, in order to setup a free trial system for some clients. So, for example, if a product subscription has a 30 day trial, I'll set the start_date value for that subscription for 30 days in the future. That way the customer doesn't get charged until 30 days later.

However, I've recently noticed that the next_transaction_date for these subscriptions is getting automatically set to 30 days after the start_date, for a total of 60 days before the next_transaction_date.

So my question is: will a transaction take place on the start_date, or will it wait all the way until the next_transaction_date? If the latter is true, then all I need to do is set the next_transaction_date accordingly. But I wanted to ask first, because if the former is true, then setting the initial next_transaction_date to be the same as the start_date, might cause a double charge, which of course would not be the desired effect.

Thanks,

Joey
Comments
  • fredfred FoxyCart Team
    Hi @jlivingston,

Good question!

Yes, action will happen on the start_date you set. We process the subscription IF the start_date = today() OR the next_date = today(). "Next date" is the next time we'll bill after we bill on the start date.

Hope that helps!
  • Awesome. Thanks Fred!