The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Google Analytics goals with www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js?

watouwatou Member
in Help edited January 2014
Hi, I was trying to follow the wiki article for adding e-commerce goals to my site, and it doesn't seem that the information is up to date with the current Google Analytics JavaScript or admin interface. Also, a number of your external links to Google Analytics help are broken because of changes at Google. Is there an ETA from FoxyCart on when there will be a new guide for the current state of things? Also, additional guidance for when people use their own cart modal (instead of Colorbox) would be helpful. Thank you.
Tagged:
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @watou, this one might take us a little bit of time to respond to fully. We're aware that the GA instructions on the wiki don't refer to the latest GA version, but we're working on a more native solution for an coming release, but we'll need to figure out the best way to get you the help you need in the meantime.
  • Thanks, Brett. I am eager to get this done properly, and preferably against my current 1.1 implementation (using Zurb Foundation 4's Reveal modal instead of Colorbox). So whatever pointers you could pass when you have them will be appreciated. We are just a few days from going live, so from that you will be able to see exactly what we've done so far, but getting Google Analytics goals and conversions measured will be a very nice-to-have.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @watou,

So the big thing with the new interface is you'll want to select the 'Classic Analytics' when creating a new profile, which will get you onto the same system that our documentation is talking about. Hopefully that should get you started. I'll try to look into the other differences as soon as possible, but hopefully the rest should follow somewhat closely to the existing documentation.
  • With all due respect, going backwards and setting up a new account isn't really an option for most people.

Steve
    @Steve,

We definitely understand that - and we'll work through the new analytics set up as soon as we can.
  • Like Steve, I'm inclined to stay at the latest Google Analytics level, and look for FoxyCart to catch up as soon as possible with instructions on how to instrument the current FC release to work with it. Thanks very much!
    @Steve & @watou,

Would either of you be interested being guinea pigs when the time comes for the integration?
  • @fc_adam More than happy to support.

I would start looking at my own way to integrate but I'm conscious that your method will probably be superior!

I understand development timescales are difficult to predict, but as an end business user I can confidently say that there a business decisions resting in these unknown timescales, and this makes FoxyCart a little difficult to work with.

Steve
  • @fc_adam,

I will happily test what you put together, but only to the extent that it doesn't seem likely that doing so would impede my client's site's operation. I want to have fully meaningful GA insights into the site's traffic, and that would be the best way to get there. Thank you!
    @Steve, we hear you. We're working on improving this on our end. Fwiw, @fc_adam's already got some documentation done, if that helps at least let you know we aren't talking about some indefinite future.
  • @brett & fc_adam - How is this coming along?

Anything I can test to support?

Steve
  • I was about to inquire as well. I'm interested in tracking conversions for my client, and need your help. Thank you!
    @Steve & @watou,

Unfortunately progress halted a bit as I've been travelling a bit the last little while. If you'd like I can whisper you the page I'm working from and it might get you started at least until I have time to finish off the new approach properly.
  • Hey Adam, thanks for the update. I'm glad you're working on this, and I would be happy enough to wait until you think you've nailed a solution. Then I can dig in and do testing and give feedback before you call it ready for the masses. We are in production now, so I don't want to get too bleeding edge. And we're presently not doing PayPal, so I won't be able to give feedback on that path. Thanks!
    @Steve, @watou,

We've just put the instructions for Universal Analytics online if you wanted to give it a go - it's available here: https://wiki.foxycart.com/integration/googleanalytics_universal

I've done some testing now and was able to track transactions successfully as well as ecommerce statistics and goals. Sorry it took as long as it did to get the instructions together.
  • Thank you very much for your work, Adam. I intend to dig in in the next few days, and I will report if I see any problems. Much appreciated! - watou
  • The new instructions were very helpful! However, I am getting an error now.

After including the code under "Setting Up Your Site" to my test page (http://www.perfectlittlehouse.com/designs/woodland-test.php) an error is thrown when I click "Add to Cart".

Uncaught TypeError: Object function (e,t){return new b.fn.init(e,t,r)} has no method 'colorbox'

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but any help would be appreciated!
  • winstonwinston FoxyCart Team
    @brendenjones

That just means that your page doesn't have the colorbox modal included. That could be caused by a) there being a javascript error somewhere on the page (open up your Javascript console to see if there are errors) or b) you not having the FoxyCart files included on the page. Those can be found in FoxyCart Admin > Sample Code.
  • brendenjonesbrendenjones Member
    edited March 2014
    @winston
    Thanks for your reply! There are no errors before clicking "Add To Cart" and the FoxyCart files are included on the page. Also, this page will function correctly when the Google Analytics code is removed. I apologize if I am missing something easy and thank you for your help!

Edit: Yes it was something simple that I missed. JS was accidentally being included twice.
  • winstonwinston FoxyCart Team
    @brendenjones

Thanks for the followup, glad you got it sorted!
  • brendenjonesbrendenjones Member
    edited March 2014
    I have implemented everything described in the tutorial and triple checked it. When I test and view my session in Google Analytics Real-Time Overview all of the pages register as expected. Under Real-Time Conversions the goal has been correctly tracked. Everything looks good until I view the Funnel Visualization. I have 0s under Cart and Checkout. Other than checking everything again do you have any ideas what could be going wrong? Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: This was another simple mistake on my part (sorry, rough couple days). When setting up the goal. I switched Screen/Page and Name because I looked at the screenshot (which shows the old GA setup) instead of reading what the tutorial said. Nevertheless, the tracking is work now!

Also, a couple thoughts on the instructions that would be helpful:
    1. An updated screenshot (mentioned above) .
    2. A reminder that the Funnel Visualization takes a little while to update (especially compared to Real-Time).
    @brendenjones, @fc_adam's out until next week, and unfortunately he's the one on our end with the most experience with the new GA code. Would you be able to wait for him to return?
    @brendenjones,

Oh great catch on that image - I completely missed that when rewriting the instructions. I'll update it today.

Thanks for updating on your fixes too - glad you were able to get it resolved.