The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Limit 1 free sample per customer

mreeemreee Member
in Help edited January 2014
I want to offer a free sample where customers only have to pay for shipping. Is it possible to limit purchases so customers can only order a product once?

Thanks!
Comments
  • winstonwinston FoxyCart Team
    @mreee

The easiest (and potentially only) way to do that is with a coupon code that can only be used once. Otherwise, you'd need to require every customer to login with SSO and you'd have to have your own database of purchases to check their login against, which is probably a lot more work than you're interested in.

One potential way to do this is to have customers sign up for an email list and the email confirmation also gives them a single-use coupon code.
  • @winston,

Thanks for the reply. How would I set up a single use coupon?
  • winstonwinston FoxyCart Team
    @mreee

It's a bit not-obvious, but the best way to do it is with an incremental coupon that takes 100% off if there's 1 product in the cart, then goes down from there. Here's a screenshot of an example coupon:

http://cl.ly/image/3m2N3533441s

And all coupon documentation is here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/static/redirect/coupons

You can generate as many coupons as you need, or you can import them if it's easier to just generate a bunch yourself. The key thing is to make sure each individual code can only be used once, see that field at the bottom of the screenshot below.
  • @winston

If there is an email signup how would I put a unique coupon code in a email conformation?

Thanks
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @mreee, I think there are two parts here.
    The first is the coupon itself. The trick is if people can order a free product _and_ a non-free product, because that makes things a bit more complicated. Is that a possibility?

The basic idea would be for a "discount by a percentage based on the quantity" and for the "coupon details" to be "incremental|1-100|2-0", which says "The first product is 100% off, the second (and beyond) are 0% discounted."

But again, it goes back the quantities that can be ordered.

The second question, however, is limiting the use so it's just the first order that's free for the customer. To do this, you'd need to generate individual codes to distribute (which FoxyCart can do for you). So let's say you generate 100 codes. Set the "number of uses allowed per individual code" to 1, so each individual code can only be used once. Each person has their own unique code that gets them a free purchase, but they can't reuse that code.

Does that help?
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @mreee,

The second option which is more involved but can work as well - is to make use of our single sign on functionality. Normally it's used to allow you to sync the login details between your site and FoxyCart's, but you can also use it to perform other checks right before the customer hits the checkout. So you'd need to set up the normal SSO integration, and get users to login on your site before they hit the checkout - but then on your SSO endpoint, if the customer has the sample product in their cart you can use the API to check if they have any past orders containing the sample product. If they do, you can either block the checkout or remove the product and send them on.

Definitely a more involved option, but it would also work
  • Thanks for the help. I think the best solution is to use the single use coupons. The thing that I am having trouble with is trying to find an automated way distribute those coupons. If I had a mailchimp campaign is it possible to send each recipient a unique code or would I have to do it manually?

Thanks
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @mreee,

I'm not sure on the capabilities of mailchimp there - you would need to be able to give mailchimp a list of values and have it only use each value once within the campaign.