HMAC validation

in Help edited February 2014
I've been struggling with getting "name" to work in a new section of our store that we're building. I think it's because of certain characters, but not sure what to do. I've tried htmlentities() urlencode() and a number of other options, including str_replacing things. But nothing gets it to pass the cart error I'm seeing on "name" field. It's not validating.

Some Product Name: Sub Product Name: Overstock – Save up to 75%

Any ideas? Totally hitting a wall with this.
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @bdcadvertising,

Are you manually encrypting the forms, or using the automatic encryption method? And are you doing this as a link or a form?
  • Link, and made sure it's not too long a length.

We're using your encryption PHP function where we wrap the function around our output text.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @bdcadvertising, {in response to whisper}

Could you link me to the page that these links are on to take a look? Feel free to whisper them if they're private.
  • winstonwinston FoxyCart Team
    @bdcadvertising

I just did a bunch of testing and as best I can tell, this boils down to the semi-colon in your product name - even though it's HTML encoded, it's still somehow breaking with the encoding. I'll connect with a dev to see if this is a bug, but in the meantime try changing the product name to not have a reserved URL character and see if that helps!
  • Thanks @winston

Any update from the dev? I'll test on my end, but curious what you've run into so far.
  • winstonwinston FoxyCart Team
    @bdcadvertising

I pinged him to look at this but i haven't heard back yet.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    edited February 2014
    It seems the offending character is:

%26%238211%3B

That is url decoded as:
    –

Which becomes a dash. We do our best to cover situations with every possible character combination, but it appears it can't work around this data which is html encoded data which is then again url encoded. Can that dash be removed or simplified in your product description?