MINT: Certificate Security Warning

mbowzeylombowzeylo Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited October 2007
When I proceed from the Cart to the Checkout I get a certificate security warning. Please see the screen shot below.

I am assuming it's because I haven't purchased a SSL certificate for my domain but I am not completely sure? Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

Is it my domain with the certificate problem or FoxyCart's since I am landing on their site when I get this error?

I appreciate your help!

certificate.png
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey Mike.

Which store are you working on? You have to replace "mydomain" with your actual store sub domain you setup in your FoxyCart store settings. If you're using a sub domain, your site doesn't need an SSL certificate at all. Check this page out for more info (http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:gettingstarted)

Also, in your templates, make sure you don't have any references to images hosted on your site. That's what the AutoMagicCache should take care of for you automatically (http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:automagicache)

I hope that helps.
  • mbowzeylombowzeylo Member
    edited October 2007
    OK, I figured it out. I had the SSL certificate for the domain set to the Default Plesk certificate in my hosting control panel. Once I created a self-signed SSL certificate for the domain the error message changed to just say that it "Couldn't verify the identity of JentleHands as a trusted site" rather then "Plesk". I suspect if I paid for a SSL certificate from GeoTrust it would then be fully verified.

Sorry to bug ya... I'm going to bed now!

Cheers
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi Mike.
    What pieces are you hosting on your side? FoxyCart will cache any images, javascript, and CSS files, so you shouldn't need a secure connection on your own site.

Check that automagicache link that Luke posted above for a more clear explanation of what exactly we're doing. (It's my favorite part of the system.) If you feel like things aren't clear in any of the "getting started" type of documentation please feel free to edit.

Also, see this one: http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:templates:checkout

Let us know how it goes and what wasn't clear so we can improve our docs ;)
  • Brett,
    I just realized how the cache works last night (we finally went live)... that is the dope stuff.
    edited November 2007
    Brett,

That's just it... I think everything should be cached as per the Magicache. I upload my storeCheckout.html to my webserver and the cache it from within FoxyCart and hit Update Template. I look at the code and it appears to have cached/modified all the images, css, js, links correctly. However, when I test it live it prompts a security warning before displaying the Checkout page.

I am gonna look into it more tonight, I'm sure it's something simple that I am overlooking. I have a live version here.
    Looks like the culprit is Mint. I'll have to take a look at how we can handle that. I love Mint but haven't used it in a long time.
    var path	= 'http://www.jentlehands.ca/mint/?record&key=66323443464e35626c507056736d3930723833393131';

Nice customization, by the way. Looks beautiful.
    edited October 2007
    Ahhhh Mint... it's not tasting so fresh right now is it? Thanks for the feed back Brett and I really appreciate your help. Once I finish styling the CheckOut page should look even better. Right now it's a mess.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    edited October 2007
    Brett,
    I just realized how the cache works last night (we finally went live)... that is the dope stuff.

Ha! That just put a big smile on my face.

It's the dope. Word.

:)
  • Hey Brett... your absolutely correct. I removed the Mint JS from the Checkout template and now the security warning is gone. If you find a way to make Mint work that would be sweet. It would be nice to monitor the number of times people proceed to the checkout page vs the actual number of completed transactions.
    Yeah, having Minty goodness on FoxyCart would definitely be a good thing. Unfortunately, we're really (really) trying to get 0.3.0 out the door, so we probably won't have a chance to look at this in the immediate future. If you happen to see any Mint-related discussions that might give us some tips on how to proceed please update this thread with them. I can't imagine that you're the first to have this issue, but maybe.

Also, I think it'd be really neat to look into making some "Pepper" to actually track sales data (order values, etc.). Not sure it's possible, but it probably is, seeing as Mint (like FoxyCart) was really built from the ground up to be extended in one way or another.
  • No problem at all Brett... I completely agree. Get 0.3.0 up, the UI finished, etc. Mint integration can be left for the "Nice to Have" list. The "Must Haves" take priority!

Cheers