California automatic tax not supposed to apply to S&H

christianbcchristianbc Member
in Help edited June 2014
Hello FC,

Hopefully this is our last issue before going live with the cart. Fingers crossed.

The issue is I don't want S&H included in tax calculation and I want auto tax rate.

Today I learned about automatic tax rates, by lookup, for California USA. I'm grateful not to have to enter the hundreds of variable taxes across California's Cities, Counties etc.

I turned auto tax rate on and now the cart includes S&H into the tax calculation. In the admin, when the auto tax rate toggle is on, the toggle to include S&H into the tax calculation goes away.

I've asked our sales manager and she said we do not tax S&H. It seems to me the toggle for including S&H should not go away.

Am I missing something here or are you able to fix this or do I have to code a workaround?

Thanks

Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @christianbc,

The toggle for taxing shipping and handling isn't there when you go with automatic tax lookups as that tax lookup also determines whether shipping and handling should be taxable or not. Is there a specific rate area that you think shouldn't be taxing shipping and handling? There have been a few instances in the past where a user has seen shipping and handling taxed and believed it shouldn't - but it turns out it was indeed correct. That's not to say that you're wrong in this case - but the tax database as proven to be pretty spot on so far.

If you could email us what address is returning the shipping and handling taxed, and also some documentation to show that it indeed shouldn't be taxed, we'd be happy to get in touch with our live tax rate provider to see if their database needs to be updated.
  • Thanks for the reply. I admit ignorance about this. I'd been told that's how it is and I assumed it was true.
    The business mngr says thanks for your kind way of opening our eyes. haha
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @christianbc,

Happy to help!