Elucidation on subscription fields

happycloudhappycloud Member
in Help edited July 2014
I am setting up subscriptions and would like some clarification. In the sample feed you have 2 sections: subscriptions and payment_methods_soon_to_expire. Can you explain the diff? It looks like the subscription section shows errors and has a token to update etc.. but the payment_methods_soon_to_expire is unclear - what am I supposed to do with that since there are no sub_token links? just email them and tell them to go where? And I am assuming the subscription section would only reflect things like CC processing errors and not upcoming expiry?
Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @happycloud,

Great question. For the customers within the payment_methods_soon_to_expire node, you can send them to the cart=updateinfo action to update their payment information. I'm not sure why we don't include the sub_token there, but it may relate to the fact a customer could have multiple active subscriptions with a store. I'll create a ticket to discuss that on our side to see if we can make improvements there.
  • Ok - that takes care of the payment_methods_soon_to_expire ones. But what about the subscriptions area? Take a look at your sample feed - there are 2 subscription tags and I have a 2 questions

1. The first subscription tag doesn't have any errrors or past due. Why is it there and what would I do with this? Is it a notice that a subscription has simply started and I can therefore disregard? (I have shippable products so no database that needs to auto send something). Its not really clear - I guess if no error message then it's a subscription start?

2. In the context of a store that ships physical products it seems that the subscription fields can be disregarded and the only ones that I need to deal with are the payment_methods_soon_to_expire to let my customers know their card will fail soon. If they dont do anything then it will fail and show up under the subscriptions tag but at that point there is nothing really for me to do since the orders will autonatically stop coming. Sounds correct?
    @happycloud,

1) Sorry that it's not clear - I'll make some adjustments to that page to make it clearer - but that first subscription has an end date set so would be there because the subscription had been cancelled. A subscription starting would be transmitted to you by the transaction XML datafeed rather than the subscription one.

2) It depends how you you set up your script. If you look at our example script, it only sends notices to customers if their payment method is approaching the expiry date. If it has expired, then notices to the customer are handled by the past due subscriptions.
  • It appears that when you cancel a subcription that an new order is placed immediately for a total of $0. Can you explain why that is? It looks like I need to filter these out but not certain how to determine that there are not a legit order.
    @happycloud,

If you or a customer clicks a link to cancel the subscription - it will put through a transaction for $0 to modify the subscriptions end date to the following day. Similarly if an updateinfo checkout is triggered, that will also send a $0 transaction through the system with their updated information.

If the order total is $0 and the end date is set to tomorrow, you can treat that as a subscription cancellation.
  • Ok - to confirm:

1) no matter what interval is used, when a sub is cancelled the cancelled date will be tomorrow always?

2) How do I tell if it's an update - check that all the following applies: 1) $0 order, 2) a sub_token 3) no tomorrow cancel date?
    @happycloud,

1) That's right - when a sub is cancelled it's end date is set to the following day.

2) If the customer runs a cart=updateinfo, there will actually be a $0 product in the cart (and nothing else) with a name of "Update Your Customer Information". There won't be any subtoken tied to that. If the customer loads their subscription to change their payment details though, you'll see what you described there - a $0 order (the normal costs plus the same cost removed through future charges), and and an end date that isn't tomorrow.
  • So it seems that I have to manually cancel the subscriptions in PayPal? Is this right? I cancelled both my test subscriptions but they continue to be billed daily.
    @happycloud,

If FoxyCart and PayPal are correctly set up as per our documentation, when a subscription is cancelled it should also be cancelled on PayPal's side.

Could you confirm the store for us, and also the subscriptions you've cancelled? We'll take a look from our side. Feel free to whisper those details.
    @happycloud,

I've passed some details off to some other team members to look into this to see if anything jumps out.

Could you confirm how you cancelled the subs? Did you click the cancel sub using the link in the email receipt for that?
  • Yes - I take the token and add sub_cancel=true to it - when I did it (2 tests) - I saw the "cancel subscription" button/link and it did indeed cancel it as far as I could see on Foxy admin side but not PayPal. I am going to put through another test transaction now. I'll update the post on the other thread we have going on.
  • OK I also cancelled this order but PayPal was NOT cancelled.
    @happycloud,

Thanks for that additional information. I've discussed this with another team member and it looks like this is indeed a bug on our side we recently discovered relating to cancelling a subscription using the subtoken link when the sub was paid with PayPal Express. We're working on getting that fixed as soon as possible - and we'll update when we get that fixed.
  • Hi - any update on this?
    @happycloud,

Sorry - yes we made some changes but I forgot about this thread - very sorry about that, thanks for reminding me!

We rolled out some code recently that will prevent changes made to PayPal subscriptions via a subtoken link, as currently it's not something that we support unfortunately. We're looking to upgrade to a newer approach that PayPal is developing that will hopefully open up the ability to allow changes to PayPal subs from the FoxyCart store side as well.
  • Ok - I am just looking to at least have paypal cancel itself when a customer ends their subscriptions. I am unclear from your response if you are saying this now works or not
    @happycloud,

Actually, a user won't be able to cancel a subscription that is tied to PayPal Express using a sub_token link after this change. They'll see a message that they'll need to get in touch with the store owner to do so. Sorry for not making that clear in my previous reply. To cancel the sub, you can action that through the FC administration, or within the PayPal administration.