Limiting Qty Per Item in Cart

samashsamash Member
in Help edited September 2014
Is it possible to limit a user to 1 item per product to checkout and if they have more than 1 of the same product they will not be able to process the order?
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    edited September 2014
    @samash,

You can set a quantity_max attribute to prevent the customer from adding more than that value of a given product. If you add that as "1" to any products you want to restrict it for, that should work well for you. More details on that here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/static/redirect/add_to_cart
  • Is there any way to control this in the cart, or it is only at the style level?
    @samash,

How do you mean control it in the cart? If you set the quantity_max attribute with the product, the customer won't be able to add or change the product quantity to more than that amount.
  • The quantity_max attribute wont really work for me in this case because a person would still be able to purchase a max of 1 of multiple sizes since different sizes cause the item to not be identical. i am looking for a way to prevent someone purchasing even multiple sizes of a certain product, only allowing 1 item in the cart for a checkout. is there any way to hide the "place order" button and show the reason if there is multiple items in the cart?
    @samash,

Ah - that would definitely be an issue. It would be possible to tackle this on the cart and checkout - could you confirm which version of FoxyCart you're using? The approach will be slightly different between the two.
  • @fc_adam,

currently using version 1.1
    @samash,

Thanks for confirming that - one other thing I forgot to confirm with you (sorry about that) - is there just one product type that you're working with here, or are there multiple products that you only want to restrict to having a single instance of in the cart?

So for example, will you only be checking for a single product name, or do you want to ensure that in the cart there is only one instance of any product name present.
  • @fc_adam,

if possible, multiple products each having a single instance of in the cart. Only allowing 1 unit per product regardless of a variant.
    @samash,

That is possible! I'll work up some code and get back to you in the next day or so.
    @samash,

Give this a try - pasted in your cart template: http://pastie.org/private/suye0rqxftufgrlh4f9abw
  • @fc_adam,

any specific place in my cart template where this should go?
    @samash,

You should be fine to place that either right before the closing </head> or </body> tags - whichever suits you best.