Anyone have v2.0 live and working?

UPUP Member
in Help edited September 2014
I've been having problems getting 2.0 to a point where I'm happy with its functionality. The postcode lookup functionality, plus the shipping calculation when moving from cart to checkout is producing irregular results, so I've reluctantly switched back to v1.0 (I'm using flat rate shipping with custom coding).

Does anyone have a working store using v2.0 that they're happy with, which they'd be prepared to share here? Any store would be great, but particularly one offering worldwide shipping.

Thanks in advance.

Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Sorry to hear that. Do you have any specific examples you could share with us as we continue to improve the product?

We'd also love to hear from others using 2.0 and what has worked and what is still a rough edge we can fix.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @UP, http://corganics.com/store.html has been using 2.0 for a while now. They've got some things going on with shipping to residential v. business addresses, but I'm not sure how much worldwide shipping they do.

Let us know what you're running into and we'll be happy to help.
  • Hi Brett & Luke

No worries, Adam has been really helpful, we've been emailing back and forth so this post on its own appears a little out of context. He's been keeping me up to date with 2.0 developments and has contributed to some custom shipping logic, so I'm very happy with the support I've received.

I believe that fixes are already on the way for the issues I've experienced, the main one being UK postcode lookup, so consider this thread closed. Thanks for your concern.

Cheers
    Matt
  • As an addition to my previous post, the site Brett shared demonstrates two of the issues I've run into.

If you add a product to the cart, then add a (UK) postcode in the cart, the postcode lookup shows a result which doesn't bare resemblance to the actual city/county associated with that postcode.

The other issue, which I thought had a fix implemented, but it's still showing, is TBD still appears at the bottom of the cart, next to 'shipping and handling', even though the postcode lookup has been completed. There are some other shipping options via radio buttons below, but these are all US options. When selecting one, TBD is replaced by a US shipping option, which isn't relevant. I think that the entire shipping calculation element should be in the checkout only, since having it in the cart complicates things and is a duplicate of what appears in the checkout anyway. I'm sure its presence in the cart will result in (pre-)checkout abandonment.

I hope this is helpful and constructive. Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Matt
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @UP,

Yeah, the postal code lookup is something we're still working with specifically for the UK, but we should have a big improvement for that in the next day or two.

In terms of the shipping on the cart - if I'm understanding what you've described there correctly, that is how it should be working. Considering a store that has live rates:

* The cart totals shipping line item starts off as "TBD" as at that point there are no known shipping rates for the order
    * You enter a postcode, and we autocomplete the city/state if we're able based on that.
    * We then send a request off for shipping rates, which are displayed below. At this point no rate has been selected still, so the shipping is still "TBD".
    * If the customer then selects a rate, we update the shipping line item, making the label the shipping rate they just chose, and the total the rate cost as they selected it.

Does that make sense? Let me know if I've misunderstood.
  • @fc_adam

Yes, you're right, I think the fact that the store in question doesn't ship to the UK complicated things. Because it has autolocation on, it automatically (and correctly) selected UK, but no shipping options are available for this destination and TBD remained, so it's a bit confusing for this example site.

On my own site, when I was testing the cart, the TBD remained after a city/state had been autocompleted. I know you were implementing a fix at the time, so maybe I had a caching issue. I was using custom shipping logic, but only one shipping option for each country, so there wouldn't have been any radio buttons to select other than the default.

I'm likely to leave the shipping calculation element to the checkout, for the reasons previously mentioned. What was the thinking for including it in the cart, rather than letting the checkout take care of that? Wonder if I'm missing something, since my gut feel is that moving people straight on to the checkout is the best way of getting a sale completed.

Cheers
    Matt