disabling postal code lookup breaks shipping calculation

dustystringsdustystrings Member
in Help edited September 2014
Not sure if this is a bug or how it's supposed to work or a problem with my custom shipping logic, but if I disable the city and region lookup by postal code (which I think I want to do because of its tendency to pull up neighborhood names instead of city names), entering a location in the Calculate Shipping area of the cart does not pull up any shipping amounts or options. Likewise, if I go to the checkout and enter a complete address, under Shipping Method it still says "Please enter your location information to display your shipping options." Any thoughts?

http://manufacturing.dustystrings.com/index.php?cID=483
dustytest.foxycart.com
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @dustystrings,

Yes, we stumbled upon this issue yesterday as well and we're currently looking into a fix for it. Sorry for the inconvenience there.

When you say the postal code lookup is returning neighborhood names rather than city names - could you give us an example of that happening? If it's not returning the correct data, we'll want to get that fixed up as soon as we're able.
  • Sorry it's taken me forever to respond! It looks like you've fixed the main problem, so the shipping options come up now whether or not I have the postal code lookup enabled. Thanks!

An example of pulling up neighborhood names instead of city names: zip code 98107 in Washington pulls up Ballard, which is a neighborhood inside of Seattle. In the drop-down menu, you can select Seattle instead, and I think that something mailed to Ballard, WA instead of Seattle, WA would still get there, so it's not a serious problem. It just seems like an unnecessary level of strangeness and potential confusion, especially for customers who are not particularly internet-savvy.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @dustystrings,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad our fix worked for you!

In terms of the zip, thanks for the example there. For the US we use our tax rate lookup to double as the zip-code lookup, so it's including the tax based zone in the results. I'll bring this up with the team and we'll look at ways of improving that. Based on USPS's site, the delivery will still get there, but they do recommend using Seattle instead of Ballard for that zip to minimise any possible delays.