"Please enter a password" error when store set to 'guests only'

UPUP Member
in Help edited September 2014
Hi, I have a few transaction errors with the error message "Please enter a password". I have my shop set to guest accounts only, so wondered whether there may be a bug or a configuration issue.

Can anyone offer any insight please?
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @UP,

Could you whisper me your store domain? We'll take a look and see what might be happening there. If your checkout is set to guest only, you definitely shouldn't be seeing password errors.
    @UP,

Thanks for whispering those details.

I've taken a look and can definitely see that people are running into this issue - but I'm having a real hard time replicating it happening. Looking at the customers who have run into this, it looks like they're still able to complete the transaction in the end. Would it be possible to ask one of your customers if they changed anything or did anything that allowed them to checkout in the end?
    @UP,

Quick follow-up as well. Is the only change you've made to the checkout template with how the shipping methods block is output on the page?
  • I am now getting this same error.

This seems to happen with email addresses that are already in the database. In other words, a transaction has been processed for that email address in the past. They make another purchase and get "Error: Please enter a password."

We need this resolved since many of our customers are repeat buyers.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @UP and @hhk225, do you happen to know what browser the impacted users were using?
    @hhk225, could you whisper me and @fc_adam your domain for us to take a look?

Sorry for the trouble here. We haven't seen this before and though we've done a lot of cross-browser testing, we might have missed something.
  • I am pretty sure it was Chrome. Whispering details.
    @hhk225,

Thanks for whispering your store - I see that it is actually you who is able to replicate this issue - can you get it to replicate reliably? I also see that a transaction that you received the error for you were able to successfully submit the transaction after that - how did you achieve that?

I've ran some more tests on my side but still struggling to replicate - if we're able to replicate that will allow us to find the root issue here and get it fixed as soon as possible.
    Thanks for the extra info by whisper, @UP. We're continuing to work on this.
    @UP, as far as the colorbox code goes, are you referencing foxycart.colorbox anywhere? You may have some pages on your site that are referencing the old code instead of the new loader.js code.

I think @fc_adam has figured something out on this, but I'll let him update.
    @hhk225,

Just touching base on my post above - are you able to replicate this error on your side?
    @UP, @hhk225,

We've just rolled out a change that we hope will rectify this issue. Unfortunately as we haven't been able to reproduce it on our side, we can't be sure. If you see this error come up again, please let us know.
  • UPUP Member
    Cheers Adam. I've since switched my store to default to account so I haven't seen the problem recently. Thanks for your efforts, V2 is working well for me.