Tips for Getting Started on Setting up a Email for Media Wordpress Plugin Using FoxyCart & Mailchimp

ethanmillerethanmiller Member
in Help edited October 2014
I need to write a Wordpress Plugin that will make a Wordpress widget available that allows users to provide their email in exchange for a media file of some sort, i.e. a downloadable, that will then be sent to the provided email. Any tips for getting this started? I'm looking through the API docs now, but if someone had any suggestions about how to go about doing this and where I might save some time, let me know. I'll be using MailChimp for the email subscribe...
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @ethanmiller,

Are you wanting to funnel the customer through FoxyCart to access the downloadable? Or is this something you're wanting to achieve natively within WordPress alone?
  • Ideally, this would function exactly the way it does currently on our site: okgo.net. See the upper right, where the user is asked to submit an email in exchange for a download. This uses a Topspin service that they had ready-built called Email4Media (E4M). The user enters their email, and then receives at that address an email containing a link to the download.
    @ethanmiller,

In that case, that might be something you'd set up outside of FoxyCart, as the customer would need to be funnelled to the checkout and complete that for an email to be triggered from our side - which doesn't sound like what you want here.
  • ethanmillerethanmiller Member
    edited October 2014
    Hmmm. That's a shame. Would be nice to trigger the delivery of the downloadable content through your system. Is there a way to access the downloadable content through the API?
  • ethanmillerethanmiller Member
    edited October 2014
    The bigger issue here for me as a developer for band (admittedly a specific market sector) is that my client looks at services like topspin (which we are leaving) and limitedrun, and sees a set of services that are tailored to bands, and that are appealing, but those systems tie the hands of the developer. I had to push my client to use this system, because in the long run it seemed like the best choice, but it's hard to explain the lack of these tools. Of course, I can build them out as well, but this increases costs and complexity.
    @ethanmiller,

Unfortunately there isn't currently an API method to access downloadable assets. For a download link to be created and emailed, a transaction does need to take place.

Have you considered using just straight Mailchimp for this? They have some information on their support site here: http://kb.mailchimp.com/campaigns/image-videos-files/send-a-file-to-new-subscribers
  • @fc_adam: okay, i think that's what we'll have to do, and that's likely just fine. was just hoping to centralize the download collection... thanks for getting back to me.