The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Handling charge per item, separate from shipping

jjzjjz Member
in Help edited November 2014
I would like to add a crating (handling) fee for certain items in the cart. The fee is per item and distinct from shipping. If the user deletes the item from their cart, the fee should also be removed. What is the best way to accomplish this?
Thanks!
Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @jjz,

Can those items be added to their own category? If so, you can set up a handling fee at the category level - which can be set to per item and will be dynamically calculated based on the total quantity of products in that category.
  • jjzjjz Member
    edited November 2014
    Yes, I could make a separate category for each class of handling fee, however I don't want the handling fees lumped together with the shipping cost.

A somewhat separate issue is that when I include a handling fee per category, it is lumped together the shipping cost and the whole thing is taxed. We are in California and I would like to keep the shipping and handling separate so that we don't have to collect sales tax on what is strictly shipping cost.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @jjz,

With your tax calculations - are you using our automatic tax calculation option for the US, or setting it manually? If you're using the automatic option, that will actually dictate if the handling fee is taxed or not along with the shipping - depending on the tax rules for the address entered by the customer.

If you're wanting to not have the handling fees lumped together with the shipping - and your store is on 2.0 - you could make use of our new bundled products functionality. That means you could add the handling fee as a child product of the product it applies to, and have it quantity match it's parent and also locked to it so it can't be removed separately. More details on that here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/static/redirect/add_to_cart
  • Hi Adam, yes I am using the automatic tax calculation option. The bundled products feature looks like exactly what I need though--I'll check it out.
    Thanks!