The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

incorrect sales tax rate

jjzjjz Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited December 2014
In certain instances FoxyCart calculates the California sales tax rate incorrectly. Perhaps only the zip code is used for sales tax calculation instead of the whole address. For example, this address should be 7.5%, per the California State website, https://maps.gis.ca.gov/boe/TaxRates

[FULL ADDRESS REDACTED —@brett]

However, FoxyCart calculates the rate as 8.5%, which is incorrect (that is the rate for Carmel-by-the-Sea but not Carmel). Let me know and I can provide a link to the receipt and website for this instance.

I have FoxyCart set to tax-type "Region", and region set to California with "tax is calculated automatically" set to Yes.
Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @jjz,

Thanks for including your address details there. We'll follow up with the service we use for our tax data and see what can be done there to get the right rate returning. Someone will be back in touch soon.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    edited December 2014
    @jjz, we've researched this a bit for ourselves, and reached out to support for the service we use. It does indeed look like they've got the rates for Carmel (and Carmel by the Sea) wrong. This is the first time we've seen their rates off. Thanks for reporting this, and extra thanks for documenting the proper rates and providing an address! (I've redacted the address for privacy reasons.)
  • Thanks for taking care of this!
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @jjz, we've got word that this will be corrected in the next release (which probably will be the beginning of January). Sorry about that. In the years we've used this service, this is the first time we've ever seen an error.
  • Hi,

We are experiencing the same thing with many web orders from CA, WA, and TX. Sales tax rates charged in the cart are not matching the current published rates. It seems like your service either hasn't been updated to match current rates or they are not drilling down to the exact rate for each jurisdiction. It is wreaking havoc with our accounting team which has to go in and adjust each order to match what was charged by the cart.

Please let me know if this can be corrected in the near future.

Thanks,
    Karen