Foxy Forum Status

We're no longer responding to questions via our forum, but we will keep it up for historical reasons. If you can't find the answer you're looking for, please visit our knowledge base or contact us. If there's enough interest in the future, we may bring the forum back.

Can I create a stand in variable for weights

jrwhipjrwhip Member
in Help edited December 2014
We are in the process of migrating our current shopping cart and order system over to Foxycart. Our current system figures shipping based on made up weight values. For example in our old system shipping for items weighing between 2.99 and 3.99 pounds have a shipping cost of $12 So if we have an item we want to cost $12 to ship we will assign it a weight of 3.5 pounds

I know it's messed up, but I need to do something similar so they systems don't clash, but I don't want to mess up the actual weights of items so we can use your live rates later if we need to.

Is there any way I can add a value to an item I can access in the checkout javascript to determine shipping. For example A bushel of apples has a foobar value of 2
Comments
  • winstonwinston FoxyCart Team
    edited December 2014
    @jrwhip

This is actually pretty easy, and you won't need to hack the weights to do it. First of all, we have a Javascript snippet that will allow you to define custom flat-rate shipping based on whatever rules you decide to implement: https://wiki.foxycart.com/v/2.0/snippets/flat_rate_shipping_modification

Second of all, you'd want to look at custom product options: https://wiki.foxycart.com/v/2.0/products#a_complete_list_of_product_parameters

Basically, any product attribute you pass in that isn't a reserved attribute by FoxyCart will be added to the product and JSON and you can test against it as necessary. You could create some shipping categories that are easy for you to maintain, and use the attribute shipping_category as a way to define which flat rate category should be applied.

There are probably other ways to accomplish this with FoxyCart, @fc_adam may have more to add, but I think that's a good start!