The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Grouping children products of same type

dariodario Member
in Help edited December 2014
Hello
In my shop I have a parent item with a variable set of children. Sometimes those children can be of the same kind (same code and same name): is FoxyCart going to group them in one product with quantity=2 or they will remain as separate product (each with quantity=1)?
(I don't have set and product_min/product_max)
Thanks
Dario
Comments
  • AdeelAdeel Member
    edited December 2014
    Hi @dario,

Are you asking for what foxycart will do If two child products have same name and code under same parent (with same parent code) ?

If yes, then foxycart creates two different child products of that parent item each with quantity=1.
  • @Adeel that's exactly what I was asking.
    Thank you!
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @dario,

Just to expand on what @Adeel mentioned above - if a product shares all of the same name/value pairs - those products will be grouped into a single product. If one of the name/value pairs features a unique item, such as a name/value pair that isn't on the other, or a different value - then that is when the product would be broken out into its own product.

So if you have a parent product with a code of "parent", and add a product with a name of "Widget" price of 20 and parent_code of "parent", that will be added as a child product of parent. If you then add that same "Widget" product a second time, the quantity of the child product will increase to 2.