quantity affects price - how to?

Hi, all. I'm wondering how to deal with items with prices that are affected by the quantity ordered. Such as:
1 @ $25
2-3 @ $22.50
4-5 @ $20
etc

1) Other than creating a form button for each individual quantity, is there a more graceful approach?
2) And if #1 is possible, will the item price change in the cart if it is modified after it has been added? (I'm guessing this is a big "No", but have to ask). I wouldn't want someone adding 4 @ $20, then lowering the quantity to 1 and checking out at $20 instead of $25.

I've worked with the _adjust feature, (as in size changes price), but this method doesn't work for me for quantity price adjustments.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @stoneage,

FoxyCart does have a feature that will allow you to set up that kind of approach - you would use the product level discounts to change the price depending on the quantity.

As an example, this add to cart form would cover the product you detailed:
    <input type="hidden" name="name" value="Product" />
    <input type="hidden" name="price" value="25" />
    <input type=“hidden” name=“discount_quantity_amount” value=“My Discount{allunits|2-2.50|4-5}” />
    What that discount attribute says is if there are 2 or more of this product, discount the product price by $2.50 for each one. If there are 4 or more, discount by $5 each. So if someone orders 5 of the product, it would be a total of $100 ($20 each), but if they then changed the quantity to 3 it would be $67.50 ($22.50 each).

More details on our discounting system here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/static/redirect/discounts
  • Thanks, @fc_adam. That worked perfectly, even got the encription accomplished.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @stoneage, awesome! Let us know how it goes.