Get Customer Id and Customer Email in Checkout and Receipt

I am using v1.1. I am trying to get the customer's email and id for conversions within a tracking system. I figured they would be part of the FC.json object or something like that, but I can't seem to find them.

Are these available in the JS of the Checkout and Receipt templates?
Comments
  • Ok, I did find that there is a hidden input field <input type="hidden" id="customer_id" name="customer_id" value="o"> that is updated once the user logs in on the checkout page. Now I just need to see if I can get that info on the receipt page.

Any ideas?
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @yankeyhotel,

On version 1.1 receipt - you can get the customer email address like this: jQuery(".fc_customer_email .fc_text").html() - but unfortunately the customer ID isn't available on the receipt.

Does this tracking need to happen with javascript? Or could it be done server-side using PHP or another server-side language? If you could, you could make use of our webhooks which will contain all the order information, along with the email and customer ID.

For what it's worth - on 2.0 the customer ID and email is available within the JSON object.
  • It is used with javascript. Any reason why I couldn't/shouldn't send the customer_id along as a hidden custom field?
  • So I fixed up an API call using AJAX and PHP with the file living on my server, but it's being blocked because it's not on a https. Is there anyway around that?
    @yankeyhotel,

What is the file on your server doing exactly? Is that where you're sending the analytics to? If so - you could make use of our webhooks and pass the information to your endpoint from your webhooks endpoint - details on that here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/static/redirect/xml_datafeed

If you're trying to do this on the receipt though - with 2.0 there is a setting on the configuration page for changing the receipt to be served over HTTP instead of HTTPS. If you're talking about the checkout though, there is no way around it - all communication in and out needs to be done over HTTPS.
  • @fc_adam

So all I need is the customer_id on the checkout page. I've got the receipt page working ok now. The PHP I have on my site is just getting some basic customer info, but all I really need is to get the customer_id once the customer logs in. I saw this snippet, https://wiki.foxycart.com/snippets/checkout/performing_actions_when_customer_logged_in_on_checkout , which should work fine, but it looks like the customer_id hidden field's value isn't the actual user id number. Otherwise that would be plenty.

Thanks again
    @yankeyhotel,

Could you confirm for me though - are you collating/collecting all of this on your server with a PHP script? If so - I would strongly recommend making use of the webhooks rather than passing it from the checkout/receipt.

Another option would be to upgrade to 2.0 and you'd have that data available from the receipt there as well.