Customer can't select correct state

We have had 3 reports of this in the past month or so, where customers are unable to select the correct state. Every time they tab or click out of the state field, it switches to a different state. We do not have the postal code lookup enabled.

The one customer who was able to give us some details said this: He was using Firefox 37 on a Linux machine. He was trying to do separate shipping and billing addresses, and he would select Tennessee with his mouse (not sure if this was in the shipping or billing section). Then when he moved the cursor away from the box, it would switch to Rhode Island. He said it was almost like the drop-down was still invisibly open, and moving the mouse changed the selection. When he unchecked the "different billing address" box, he was able to get Tennessee to stick with no problem.

Interestingly, his order also went through with $0 shipping, but I'm wondering if that was related to switching addresses a bunch of times, and may have been fixed by the most recent live shipping snippet update.

The first two times we thought maybe the customer was crazy, but after the third time it seemed like it might be a bug of some sort. I just tried to replicate it, and I'm not getting quite the situation he described, but I realized it is confusing when you use the mouse to select a state (instead of typing). You click on your state, which then appears in the field at the top, but the drop-down list stays open and when you tab or click to the next field, it switches the selection to whichever state was hovered over last. So you can select Tennessee, then move the mouse down to Texas without clicking on it, and then tab to the postal code field, and it switches the state to Texas. You can get it to stay on Tennessee by being fortunate enough not to accidentally hover over a different state before going to next field, or by actively clicking the up arrow to close the drop-down list. I had to try it a few times before I figured out what I was missing, so I'm not surprised a customer would be a little frustrated. And unlike the one customer's experience, it does seem to be the same whether or not the different billing address box is checked.

Is there a reason for the drop-down list staying open after a state is selected, or is it a bug? The country drop-down list does close after you make your selection, which seems to be a more comforting and less confusing behavior!

Our store is at manufacturing.dustystrings.com, and we're using 2.0.
Comments
  • SamiSami FoxyCart Team
    Hi dustystrings,

Thanks for bringing this up. We are looking into the issue and will update you soon.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @dustystrings,

Great catch - that is indeed a bug. I'll look into that and get it fixed as quickly as I can. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
  • @fc_adam,

Did this issue with the state drop-down list not closing ever get addressed? I'd forgotten about it, but we just had another customer comment on how confusing it was for them, and I realized that there may have been an updated template that I never copied into my custom template. If that's the case, should I be looking in the cart include template? Thanks!
    @dustystrings,

Unfortunately no updates yet I'm sorry.
  • Hi again,

It's still not urgent, but we've had a couple more customers recently who were confused by the fact that the state select list does not close automatically when a state is selected. They keep accidentally selecting other states and aren't able to get the correct state to "stick." So I just wanted to make sure this was still on your to-do list!

I'm guessing most people probably use the automatic postal code lookup so it's not an issue for them, but we still find it weird that it fills in neighborhoods instead of city names, so we are sticking with the manual entry for now.

Thanks!
    @dustystrings,

Thanks for pinging this thread. It is still on my todo list - I'll try to prioritise it and get it corrected for you guys soon. Thanks for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience to you and your customers!
    @dustystrings,

I'm sorry for the extended delay in correcting this issue with the state foxycomplete field. We've just rolled out a change to the javascript which should correct it to ensure that when you click a result it will always select it. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
  • @fc_adam,

Thanks for the follow-up! It seems to be working great.